Canada’s Logan Stanley (7) hits USports’ Brett Welychka (20) during first period exhibition hockey action in preparation for the upcoming IIHF World Junior Championships in St. Catharines, Ont., on Thursday. Stanley was one of six players cut from the selection camp roster on Thursday. (THE CANADIAN PRESS)

Canada cuts six players from world junior selection camp roster

Final round of roster moves set for Friday

ST. CATHARINES, Ont. (CP) — The desire Canada’s junior hockey players have to represent their country at the world championships was all over Kole Lind’s face minutes after he learned he’d been cut from the team.

Lind fought back tears as he spoke with media on Thursday evening in the lobby of the team’s hotel. He was one of six players Hockey Canada cut from its world junior championship selection camp roster, reducing the team from 33 to 27.

“It’s obviously heartbreaking for me,” said Lind, a second-round pick of the Vancouver Canucks in last summer’s NHL draft. “It’s something that’s out of my control. I think I did what I could. I played pretty well.

“I think there are some things I can take away from this both good and bad.”

Lind, Cody Glass and Jonathan Ang were the forwards sent back to their junior teams, as were defencemen Dennis Cholowski and Logan Stanley and goalie Samuel Harvey.

“I’m dealing with it well,” said Harvey, whose impressive play for the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies this season earned him an invitation to the selection camp. “It was a tough decision, the coaches told me. I did well, I think, and it was a good experience and I want to thank Hockey Canada for that.”

Harvey, who went undrafted in the 2017 NHL draft, had not been invited to Hockey Canada’s Summer Showcase development camp. But his 2.33 goals-against average and .924 save percentage in 25 Quebec Major Junior Hockey League games caught the attention of team lead Joel Bouchard.

Canada plays Denmark on Friday afternoon in an exhibition and will announce its final round of cuts later that day.

Hockey Canada has to cut its roster down to 22 players ahead of the world junior championship that begins on Dec. 26 in Buffalo, N.Y. The final roster will have 13 forwards, seven defencemen and two goalies.

“We need guys that can adapt,” said head coach Dominique Ducharme. “Adapting is sometimes being able to take messages from coaching staff, adjusting to a new team, new teammates. It’s all about adapting and adjusting.”

Seven players are returning from last year’s silver-medal winning team.

Goaltender Carter Hart (Everett), defencemen Jake Bean (Calgary), Kale Clague (Brandon) and Dante Fabbro (Boston University) and forwards Dillon Dube (Kelowna), Michael McLeod (Mississauga) and Taylor Raddysh (Erie) are all back and virtual locks to make the team.

Defenceman Victor Mete, who was loaned to Hockey Canada for the world juniors by the Montreal Canadiens on Monday, is also expected to be on the final roster.

IIHF world junior hockey

Just Posted

A 1900s writing box found in Greater Victoria contained ink, photos and a letter addressed to Clara McCaubry dated October 14, 1898. (Photo courtesy Suzanne Hervieux)
Mysterious 1900s writing box finds a home among Saanich Archives

Wooden chest owned by early Saanich resident Clara Isabelle McCaubry

For Owen Bains, having autism makes navigating the rules and social norms around COVID-19 challenging, says his mother. (Courtesy Nicole Zimmel)
Pandemic poses serious problems for children with autism, say Victoria parents

Parents of children with autism say COVID-19 is overwhelming and reducing social skills

Halloween candies ready for trick-or-treaters. (Philip Wolf photo)
PQBeat: Ghouls, goblins, candy, costumes, COVID-19 restrictions and all things Halloween

Podcast: 2020 version of the spooky night promises to be much different

The Salish Eagle sails towards Powell River from Comox in the summer of 2019 (John McKinley file)
Editorial: Time to reinstate below-decks as above board in BC Ferries

Ban on people staying on the car deck defies logic in a time of COVID-19

A sentencing hearing began for Joel Conway who was convicted of break and enter and sexual assault last year. (Kendra Crighton/News Staff)
Saanich man sentenced to three years in prison for breaking into woman’s home and sexually assaulting her

Crown is asking Joel Conway be sentenced to four years for both charges, to be served concurrent

Over the years, Janice Blackie-Goodine’s home in Summerland has featured elaborate Halloween displays and decorations each October. (File photo)
QUIZ: How much do you really know about Halloween?

Oct. 31 is a night of frights. How much do you know about Halloween customs and traditions?

FILE - In this Jan. 23, 1987 file photo, actor Sean Connery holds a rose in his hand as he talks about his new movie “The Name of the Rose” at a news conference in London. Scottish actor Sean Connery, considered by many to have been the best James Bond, has died aged 90, according to an announcement from his family. (AP Photo/Gerald Penny, File)
Actor Sean Connery, the ‘original’ James Bond, dies at 90

Oscar-winner was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II in 2000

Kuterra’s smolts will come from Cermaq hatcheries. (Whole Oceans image)
Cermaq to supply salmon smolts to land-based farm Kuterra

Emergent Holdings, which operates Kuterra, and Cermaq signed a four-year agreement

Megan Dunn, Sonja Zupanec and Sue Dunn (from left) created floral headpieces as part of a fundraiser for the People for a Healthy Community on Gabriola Society food bank. (Photo courtesy Jeanette Martin)
Gabriolans support island food bank with floral hat fundraiser

Gabriola Flower Heads aim to raise $4,000 for those in need

There are now plans to reduce scaled of a proposed Ballenas running track upgrade. (PQB News file photo)
Parksville Qualicum Beach running track project plans reduced in scale

Track group to switch to community grassroots level due to lack of support from regional district

Bruce McLean, 91, has published his first novel, The Manana Treehouse, which is inspired by his wife’s experience with Alzheimer’s. (Devon Bidal/News Staff)
91-year-old Saanich man publishes first novel based on wife’s Alzheimer’s experience

Former journalist Bruce McLean ‘on cloud nine’ after making fiction debut

This house at 414 Royal Ave. became notorious for its residents’ and visitors’ penchant for attracting police. It was also the site of a gruesome torture in August 2018. It was demolished in 2019. KTW
6-year sentence for Kamloops man who helped carve ‘rat’ into flesh of fellow gang member

Ricky Dennis was one of three men involved in the August 2018 attack

Cpl. Nathan Berze, media officer for the Mission RCMP, giving an update on the investigation at 11:30 a.m., Oct. 30. Patrick Penner photo.
VIDEO: Prisoner convicted of first-degree murder still at large from Mission Institution

When 10 p.m. count was conducted, staff discovered Roderick Muchikekwanape had disappeared

Among the pumpkin carvings created this year by Rick Chong of Abbotsford is this tribute to fallen officer Cont. Allan Young.
Abbotsford pumpkin carver’s creations include fallen police officer

Rick Chong carves and displays 30 pumpkins every year

Most Read