Skip to content

February 18, 2023
In loving memory ~
After an impressive 90-year run, Ian George Murray of Duncan, B.C. passed away on February 18th after a short hospital stay. The fact he was only admitted to the hospital in his final days is a testament to his strength and determination to stay with us. He had had a litany of health issues for decades - including cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart, and kidney disease - but he never gave up until his kidneys finally did.
Ian was born in Shoal Lake, Manitoba in 1932 and moved to Winnipeg at the age of 12. He went to school in the city and began his career at the Royal Bank in Winnipeg. He served as branch manager in Snow Lake, Manitoba; Pine Falls, Manitoba; Nipigon, Ontario; The Pas, Manitoba and finished up in Dryden, Ontario.
During and especially after retirement, Ian filled his days with a lot of fun. He loved sports - both watching - especially Winnipeg's Jets and Bombers - and playing - especially golf and curling. He enjoyed bridge as well. He used to say one of the great things about retiring on Vancouver Island was that he could golf in the morning, curl in the afternoon, and play bridge in the evening. He also caught the travel bug post-retirement and made it to every continent but Antarctica. He also drove an RV across, up and down Canada more than once. Ian was an avid fisherman and apparently a closet harmonica player because we've discovered four of them in his desk as well as a pile of sheet music. If anyone ever heard him play, we would love to hear about it.
Ian is survived by his loving wife Erna; three children Brenda, Ron and Sharon; son-in-law Jason Czettisch; two grandchildren Ella and Riley; his sister Ruth Wheeler of Winnipeg; plus many nieces and nephews and a good number of friends from his curling, bridge and travelling days. He was predeceased by his parents James and Ann (Rankin), brothers Jim and Bert and sister Ness McMahon.
A huge thank you to Dr. Zaan Davies, Ingram Family Physicians and Mann's Pharmacy for doing everything they could to keep him going in his last months. Thank you to Dr. Paul Terlien who took great care of him for many years. Also, thank you to the staff and doctors at Cowichan District Hospital who did what they could to make him comfortable. If you'd like to donate in his memory, please send it to The Cowichan District Hospital Foundation or your local hospital foundation.
There are no plans for a funeral. We were able to have a big party for his 90th a few months back and it truly was a 'celebration of life'. He enjoyed it immensely.
Online condolences may be made at

 H.W. Wallance Cremation and Burial Centre

Your condolences will be approved within one business day. You will need a valid Facebook account. Please email us if you have any questions.