Skip to content

March 1, 1944 - May 18, 2023
In Loving Memory ~
It is with heavy hearts that we announce the passing of Allan Lintorn; a wonderful brother, uncle and friend.
Al was born in Surrey, England on March 1st, 1944, the second son of his father, Jack and his Mum, Alice. When he was six years old, his Dad remarried [Jean].
Al is survived by his family in England: brothers Jackie [Vanessa], Graham [Pauline], Antony [Sue], Bruce, Norman, his sister, Ivy [Jeffrey] and many nieces and nephews. Al is also survived by his step-daughter, Christine [Mike] in Pouce Coupe, BC. He was predeceased by his ex-wife, Loretta, on April 13, 2023.
After completing school at the young age of 15, Al became an apprentice in his father's automotive garage. After becoming a licensed mechanic, he decided to join the United Kingdom Merchant Marines and see the world. The year was 1962. He was 18 years old. Over the following six years, Al would visit many coastal countries, delivering and picking up goods. At one point, while working for Kawasaki Lines, his ship made several trips between Port Alberni and Japan. Al fell in love with the Pacific coast of Canada and the US. He knew that one day he would return and, somewhere along this coast, he would make his home. Al's last day as Merchant Mariner was July 18, 1968. He was 24 years old. Not long after that, he boarded the passenger liner, the Empress of England, and headed towards the country he'd fallen in love with. Canada was now his destination.
Upon arriving in Montreal, Quebec, Al worked at an automotive garage for one year. He then travelled further west and went to work at a mine in Merritt, BC. While there, he went on a vacation to Long Beach, California. He went out to a dance hall one night and that's where he met Loretta. He always said that it was "pretty much love at first sight." Al returned to work in the mine for a short while, but would soon move to Long Beach to be closer to Loretta and her 9 year-old daughter, Christine. He found work in an automotive garage. After about three years in Long Beach, Al and Loretta made the decision to move to Canada. They packed up and headed north, making one little detour along the way. It was on August 6, 1972, in a little Las Vegas chapel, that they were married. They then headed for Canada to begin their lives together. They settled in New Westminster for a while and later in Surrey, which is where they bought their first home. They lived there for eight years. Al had been hunting in and around Dawson Creek a few times during those years and really liked the area. The family would soon move to a little town called Doe River [not far from Dawson Creek] where Al and Loretta bought a farm. Loretta tended the farm during the week and Al worked as a mechanic at the coal mine in Tumbler Ridge, returning home on the weekends. Throughout their 20 years of married life, they made several trips to England to visit family. In 1992, Al and Loretta separated. Al sold the farm and moved to Campbell River in 1998. After one year of renting a cabin at Saratoga Beach, Al bought his home on Enquist Road. He always said that his neighbours were second to none.
An avid outdoorsman, Campbell River fit Al's lifestyle to a tee; fishing and hunting were passions of his. Dancing was also a great passion, specifically the two-step. He frequented a number of dance halls up and down the Island including the Moose Lodge in Nanaimo, the Legion in Courtenay, and the Eagles Hall in Campbell River, charming ladies at the dance with his good looks and charisma. Al's way with humour was clever too, and you could often catch his little wink when he "got away with things". Wherever he was, Al could hold a captive audience with stories of his life adventures [and he never repeated a story, that is unless you asked him to.] To say he was an interesting man is simply not enough! His tenacity in life to get the job done and to do it well is to be admired. As well, his generosity in donating to his favourite charities, World Vision and The Canadian Red Cross, spanned three decades. Al strongly believed that if we do good things in life, then and only then can we expect the same in return. Our lives were certainly much fuller and richer for knowing him. His bravery in regards to facing his health prognosis [ALS] over this past year holds yet another avenue of admiration. Throughout it all, he always believed in miracles. Al was truly a man who touched many lives and souls. He will never be forgotten.
It is with much gratitude that we thank Chris MacDonald, Dr. Farias, RN's Shauna and Rebecca, and all of the other wonderful RNs and Care Aides on the Hospice Team at Yucalta Lodge. Thank you, not only for providing the most loving and compassionate care, but also for sitting with Al and getting to know him over the last month of his life.
As per Al's final wishes, there will be a graveside service at Elk Falls Cemetery [Gold River Hwy] at 1:00 pm on Friday, June 2nd.

Your condolences will be approved within one business day. You will need a valid Facebook account. Please email us if you have any questions.