Whistler Blackcomb. (Brigitte Werner/Pixabay)

Whistler Blackcomb to suspend operations for a week due to COVID-19 pandemic

Village of Pemberton confirms two local cases of coronavirus

Whistler Blackcomb Resort will suspend operations for seven days beginning tomorrow, due to growing concerns over the spread of the novel coronavirus.

Vail Resorts, the parent company of Whistler Mountain announced Saturday it will not be taking any new reservations at any of its 37 resort locations in North America.

Meanwhile, those already staying at the various lodges and anyone who had already made a reservation prior to Saturday are allowed to remain at the various resorts, but all on-mountain dining and retail stores will be closed until March 22.

The news comes as the Village of Pemberton confirms two of its residents have tested positive for COVID-19. Pemberton is a 30-minute drive outside of Whistler.

ALSO READ: COVID-19 Canadian cases, by province

Vail Resort staff will be using the week to “reassess our approach for the rest of the season,” CEO Rob Katz said in a statement.

“It gives everyone the time to assess the situation, respond to ever-changing developments, and evaluate the approach for the rest of season, if we believe it is advisable or feasible to re-open,” Katz said. “This was not an easy decision to make, as we deeply considered the impact it will have on our guests, employees, and the people and businesses in our communities.”

All scheduled employees will still be paid without using vacation or sick time, and staff within the corporate office will work from home.

Katz said that lift tickets, ski school, equipment rentals will be fully refunded, while other credit information can be found on the Vail Resorts website. The company will be reviewing its refund policies for seasons passes.

Later Saturday, SilverStar Mountain Resort also suspended operations until March 22.

All other ski hills in B.C., including Mount Washington, Big White and Grouse Mountain, are remaining open at this time, but many are taking precautionary measures such as limiting the number of people on a single chair lift and cancelling larger events.

READ MORE: Big White taking COVID-19 precautions but no shut down yet in sight for Kelowna slopes


@ashwadhwani
ashley.wadhwani@bpdigital.ca

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Coronavirus

Just Posted

75-year-old woman rescued from near-drowning in Cowichan Lake

Victim taken to hospital, but expected to recover

Nanaimo, Royal Jubilee to be Vancouver Island’s COVID-19 frontline hospitals

Other Island hospitals will be admitting COVID-19 patients and will be used in a support role

Paramedics called to Oak Bay golf course as man crashes bike into sand trap

Oak Bay police respond to social distance concerns

Island liquor stores see spike in sales amidst COVID-19

Customers are buying go-to products in larger quantities

Friends, family suprise Current Swell singer and new wife with socially distant wedding

‘We just thought we were going over there to have a glass of champagne and do some paperwork’

Man charged after Langford shooting last year sentenced to 4.5 years

Justin Lemmen found guilty of firearms offenses

B.C. clears more acute hospital beds as COVID-19 case growth slows

Province holding about 40% of beds empty for peak still to come

Not to become bored the game plan for COVID-19

Board game with an Island map developed by Island family just the remedy for filling time at home

Saanich moves forward with summer camp registration despite COVID-19

District to give full refunds if camps are cancelled

Vancouver Island teen earns $100,000 commerce scholarship to the University of Calgary

Matias Totz is graduating from St. Michaels University School

COVID-19: Vancouver Island man forges hearts for his community

Dave Kasprick has already given out approximately 400, plans to make it 600

After 37 years, Campbell River Arts Council annual members’ show goes online

38th Annual Members Show shifted from physical gallery to website

As 500K+ apply for emergency benefit, Trudeau says aid coming for Canadians left behind

Canada Emergency Response Benefit provides $2,000 per month

Most Read