Two people beat up with baseball bats at Nanaimo park

Police looking for suspects who were seen in newer-model orange car

Police in Nanaimo are looking for two suspects of an assault of a man and woman by two men armed with baseball bats.

The alleged attack was reported at about 1 p.m. Saturday and happened near Diver Lake off of Labieux Road and resulted in both victims being hospitalized.

According to an RCMP press release, police were alerted to the altercation after the 39-year-old female victim went to a local business and told an employee that two unidentified men showed up at her tent and, without provocation, started striking her and her 51-year-old male friend with bats the suspects had brought with them.

The woman told police she did not recognize the suspects, who arrived in an orange newer-model car. The assault lasted several minutes before the suspects drove off in an unknown direction.

The victims were taken by ambulance to Nanaimo Regional General Hospital with serious, but non-life-threatening injuries that were consistent with being struck by a large blunt object.

The suspects are described as Caucasians, 25 to 35 years old. One had dark hair and a goatee and was heavy set and wearing dark clothing. The second suspect was also heavy set with a dark beard and wore a bandana covering the lower half of his face.

Const. Gary O’Brien, Nanaimo RCMP spokesman, said it would be pure speculation on the part of police to guess at a motive for the attack.

“It appears that female, she’s of no fixed address, had been camping in that area for some time,” O’Brien said. “The male was visiting her at which point the two suspects arrived and proceeded to assault both of them.”

He said police do not believe the general public is at risk.

“There’s always a risk, when you have two people take it upon themselves to initiate an unprovoked assault with weapons,” O’Brien said. “Having said that, we don’t believe there’ll be any further incidents involving these two, but we are certainly actively pursuing leads to determine who these individuals are and why they did what they did.”

Anyone with information about this incident is asked to contact the Nanaimo RCMP at 250-754-2345. To remain anonymous, contact Crime Stoppers at www.nanaimocrimestoppers.com or call 1-800-222-8477.

RELATED: Crime incidents on the rise in Nanaimo



photos@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Island company tastes sweet success with sugar kelp

Cascadia Seaweed is experiencing rapid growth after launching six months ago

Dunsmuir Middle School works with students following in-school protest over cell phone policy

Pupil said he wants students to be included in decisions that impact them

Island First Nations councillor says ‘Hereditary chiefs have the ultimate power’

Ahousaht future hereditary chief Jaiden George explains Indigenous governance.

Forestry strike, curtailment had far-reaching impact on Vancouver Island

Island business community buoyed by mediation breakthrough

BC Ferries gets injunction against demonstrations in solidarity with Wet’suwet’en

The preemptive injunction is a ‘last resort in the interest of public safety,’ spokesperson says

VIDEO: Ottawa wants quick, peaceful resolution to pipeline protests, Trudeau says

The protests have manifested themselves as blockades on different rail lines across the country

Canucks acquire forward Tyler Toffoli from Kings in push for playoffs

Vancouver sends Schaller, Madden, pick to L.A.

New highway proposed between Alberta and B.C.

The route would connect Red Deer to Kamloops

Wet’suwet’en and B.C. government have been talking Aboriginal title for a year

Coastal GasLink says it has agreements with all 20 elected First Nations councils along the 670-kilometre route

Trudeau tightlipped on plan to end protests ‘quickly and peacefully’

The prime minister, who cancelled a two-day trip to Barbados this week to deal with the crisis at home

Canadian standards for coronavirus protection to be reviewed, health agency says

The protocols set out how health workers should protect themselves and their patients

Monday marks one-year anniversary of man missing from Langley

42-year-old B.C. man, Searl Smith, was last seen leaving Langley Memorial Hospital on Feb. 17, 2019

Amtrak warns of delays as railways from Seattle to B.C. blocked by Wet’suwet’en supporters

Coastal GasLink said it’s signed benefits agreements with all 20 elected band councils along pipeline route

Nanaimo-bound ferry breaks down, but another available for service

Two sailings cancelled Sunday on Tsawwassen-Duke Point route

Most Read