Amber Foster is pictured with 12-year-old Kohen Ballance at the Travelodge Courtenay — their temporary home after a fire damaged their apartment complex in Merville. Scott Stanfield photo

Senior loses his wife and all his possessions in Comox Valley apartment fire

A Comox Valley pensioner lost his common-law wife and most of his possessions, and wound up in hospital with smoke inhalation following a Tuesday fire at his apartment building.

Len Brown, 76, lived in the top floor of Merville’s Hillview Apartments, which went up in flames around 11:40 a.m., Oct. 8.

Amber Foster, who has lived in the bottom of the complex for seven years with her mother, Laura Mitchell, was outside the building when the fire broke out. She heard screaming from a neighboring unit, then saw smoke billowing from the top floor.

RELATED: One person dead as fire ravages Merville apartment

“I grabbed a fire extinguisher (from a bystander) and ran upstairs, and ran into the fire and started going as quick as I could,” Foster said. “I could see the fire coming from underneath the bedroom, and I knew that Charlotte had not made it. But I knew that Len was still in there.”

A number of neighbours appeared on scene, and helped Foster retrieve Brown from his unit.

“I could hear him, so we started screaming for Len. It was absolutely horrifying what I saw. Finally, we saw his head peak out. We managed to drag him out the rest of the way, and then drag him down the stairs.”

Foster said the fire started in Brown’s apartment.

“He was in the fire for probably about 15 minutes.”

Foster was also hospitalized for smoke inhalation. She and Mitchell are among the displaced tenants of the eight-unit building who have been put up at the Travelodge Courtenay.

“Charlotte was an awesome person,” Foster said. “Lovely woman. She would help out anyone.”

Mitchell considered 64-year-old Charlotte to be her sister.

“She saved him (Len) because she screamed for him to wake up,” Mitchell said. “She was my best friend in the world. We always used to talk about being sisters because we’re so much alike…I talked to the coroner, and I asked him, ‘Please tell me she didn’t burn to death.’ He said, ‘No, she wouldn’t have. It was smoke first.’ I’m grateful for that, if you can be grateful for anything.”

She’s also grateful that her daughter wasn’t hurt while she tried to extinguish the fire.

“I had to keep grabbing her arm, and she wouldn’t stop,” Mitchell said. “Her face was all black with soot. It was hopeless.”

Mitchell said Brown, who lost his two sons several years ago, has lost everything.

“He’s really scared right now,” she said. “We’re the only family he has. He’s a really nice, nice man. He’d give you the shirt off his back.”

“It’s really tough because he’s like my father,” Foster added. “He’s having a really hard time.”

READ ALSO: Four people transported to hospital in three-alarm Greater Victoria blaze

READ ALSO: Gofundme created for Nanaimo house fire victims

A top-floor tenant, 12-year-old Kohen Ballance, was at school when the fire broke out.

“I was in shock at what happened,” Kohen said. “I saw my mom. She was crying. I couldn’t take it, she couldn’t take it.”

They, too, are at the Travelodge.

“A lot of water damage in my room,” Kohen said. “Most of the burn was in the living room, and some in my room.”

Foster said government is paying for three days accommodation at the hotel.

“We also have the Red Cross coming to help us out.”

A Go Fund Me page has been initiated to raise money to help the displaced tenants.



reporter@comoxvalleyrecord.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Minivan driver’s speed a factor in fatal 2018 Malahat crash

Driver was travelling at 101 km/h in a construction zone

Victoria tattoo shops respond to sex assault allegations against male artists

Carne Tattoo and Painted Lotus Studios respond to allegations

Island RCMP want speeding motorists to ‘slow the blazes down’

Nanaimo police raise alarm after seeing 400-per cent rise in excessive speeding tickets last month

Big Beach parties spark concern in Ucluelet

“You find needles, left over party debris, bottles and still burning fires.”

Vancouver Island business ad unintentionally features OK gesture linked to white supremacy

Innocuous ‘OK’ gesture in cleaning franchise advertisement gets flak on social media for ‘supposedly’ promoting white supremacy

B.C. sees 25 new COVID-19 cases, community exposure tracked

One death, outbreaks remain in two long-term care facilities

VIDEO: Alberta man rescues baby eagle believed to be drowning in East Kootenay lake

Brett Bacon was boating on a lake in Windermere when he spotted the baby eagle struggling in the water

Younger Canadians, men less likely to wear masks, according to Stats Canada

Immigrants, especially immigrant women, more likely to follow precautions

Downtown Duncan open-air food court opens

Facility will operate throughout the summer in reaction to COVID-19

Island Health provides Baby Beds for infants

A safe place for baby to sleep is key to reduce sleep-related deaths

Mobile Health Unit takes to Campbell River streets

KDC Health-operated health bus offers holistic approach to health

Architect plans to revitalize Victoria ‘gateways,’ including Wellburns building

Wood-construction apartments planned for Scott, Wellburn’s buildings

SKAMpede goes live in Victoria this weekend

Beloved annual theatre event returns with changes, pre-registration online

Most Read