From left to right, Educational Assistants Ute Perry, Sylvia Sundby, Christine Gillies, and Maria, Mangiola on the picket line for CUPE Local 441 on Nov. 6, 2019. (Sophie Heizer/News Staff)

Saanich school board says current offer as good as strikers going to get

Talks between CUPE Local 441 and the district broke off Nov. 5

All Saanich School District (SD63) schools remain closed for instruction on Friday due to the continued job action.

On Thursday Elise McMurphy, vice chair of the Saanich Board of Education, issued a statement saying the current offer is “as good as it gets in the provincial context.”

RELATED: Saanich teachers honour CUPE picket line while BCTF negotiates for new teacher contract

According to the statement the District says the current offer applies the maximum funding available while addressing CUPE Local 411’s concerns. Under this offer educational assistants would receive a wage increase of up to 12.8 per cent, bus drivers would get an increase of 9.1 per cent and school secretaries would receive 10.2 per cent more.

RELATED: ‘No option’ to fix pay parity at local bargaining table: SD63 superintendent

“We are cognizant of the huge impact this job action is having on students, families and all employees,” stated McMurphy. “We urge CUPE members to have a second look at the board’s offer. It’s up to CUPE to end this strike.”

Schools in SD63 have been closed for two weeks now after talks between CUPE Local 441 and the district broke off again on Nov. 5.

RELATED: Saanich Peninsula families to rally in support of striking CUPE members in Brentwood Bay, Sidney



kendra.crighton@blackpress.ca

Follow us on Instagram
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Victoria company compares drone footage of city streets between August and now

Fewer cars, people seen on streets and at landmarks

COLUMN: On the importance of wearing pants

Having a sense of normalcy is critical while working from home during pandemic

75-year-old woman rescued from near-drowning in Cowichan Lake

Victim taken to hospital, but expected to recover

Nanaimo, Royal Jubilee to be Vancouver Island’s COVID-19 frontline hospitals

Other Island hospitals will be admitting COVID-19 patients and will be used in a support role

Paramedics called to Oak Bay golf course as man crashes bike into sand trap

Oak Bay police respond to social distance concerns

Island officials say water treatment already in place to combat COVID-19

South Fork, Englishman River water treatment use membrane, UV filtering

Duncan’s Overdose Prevention Site to move this fall to new Wellness Centre

OPS will be part of new Wellness and Recovery Centre on York Road

Man charged after Langford shooting last year sentenced to 4.5 years

Justin Lemmen found guilty of firearms offenses

B.C. clears more acute hospital beds as COVID-19 case growth slows

Province holding about 40% of beds empty for peak still to come

Not to become bored the game plan for COVID-19

Board game with an Island map developed by Island family just the remedy for filling time at home

Saanich moves forward with summer camp registration despite COVID-19

District to give full refunds if camps are cancelled

Vancouver Island teen earns $100,000 commerce scholarship to the University of Calgary

Matias Totz is graduating from St. Michaels University School

COVID-19: Vancouver Island man forges hearts for his community

Dave Kasprick has already given out approximately 400, plans to make it 600

Most Read