Piggy banks, jewelry stolen after resident leaves key in front door lock

Break-and-enter occurred sometime Dec. 14 on Machleary Street in Nanaimo

RCMP are investigating a break-and-enter after a Nanaimo resident left his key in the lock of his front door last week.

Sometime during the day Dec. 14, suspects allegedly stole two piggy banks and various jewelry from a residence on the 400 block of Machleary Street.

“The owner … didn’t realize until he returned that he had left his keys in the front lock,” noted a Nanaimo RCMP press release.

A white gold ring with a diamond, a gold ring with four rubies and an 18-karat gold chain with a ’No. 1’ emblem were taken and the two piggy banks “contained a considerable amount of change,” the press release noted.

Anyone with information about unsolved crimes is asked to contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477, text 274637, keyword Nanaimo or submit a tip online at www.nanaimocrimestoppers.com.

unsolved crimes

Just Posted

UPDATE: RCMP use spike belts to end car chase — man in custody

The driver was arrested at the scene a short distance from his vehicle

Visitors and non-residents entering closed Hesquiaht territories

With limited resources, they say they don’t have any authority or power to enforce the closures

Tent Island closed due to neglect and abuse from campers

Illegal campfires common on Penelakut Tribe reserve land

‘Just being stupid’: Premier slams abusive customers at Langford restaurant

Restaurant said rude customers reduced its hosts to tears

Vancouver Island mayor hacked by CERB identity theft scammer

View Royal’s David Screech shocked to find CRA account accessed, banking information changed

371 British Columbians battling COVID-19, health officials confirm

Thursday (Aug. 6) saw a second straight day of nearly 50 new confirmed cases

COVID-19 tests come back negative for remote First Nation

“There are no suspected cases in the community at this time.”

UBC loses appeal on Fisheries Act convictions

BC Supreme Court upholds order to pay $1.55-million fine

Masks to be mandatory on BC Transit, TransLink starting Aug. 24

Both BC Transit and TransLink made the announcement in separate press releases on Thursday

Acclaimed B.C. actor Brent Carver passes away

Carver, one of Canada’s greatest actors with a career spanning 40 years, passed away at home in Cranbrook

B.C. would not send students back to school if there was ‘overwhelming risk’: Horgan

Plan has left many parents across the province worried about their children’s safety

Victoria mayor wants newspaper boxes removed from downtown streets

Mayor Lisa Helps says the boxes are not needed, often filled with garbage

City of Victoria expecting a 2020 deficit between $12.5 to $17.5 million

Victoria lost $1.2 million per month just from reduced parking fees during onset of pandemic

Victoria bells join cacophony marking 75th anniversary of Japanese bombings

Bells ring Aug. 6, 9 in remembrance of the victims of Nagasaki, Hiroshima

Most Read