Skip to content

Man arrested after major road in Port Alberni closed due to police incident

Numerous RCMP members surround motel on Redford Street
Redford Street in Port Alberni is currently blocked due to a police incident. (TERESA BIRD / Alberni Valley News)

A police standoff at a hotel in Port Alberni on Monday morning (April 17) led to the arrest of a wanted man.

Redford Street in Port Alberni was closed between 10th Avenue and Anderson Avenue for more than an hour Monday morning while several Port Alberni RCMP officers surrounded the Tyee Village Motel, guns drawn.

Port Alberni RCMP say that a member of Port Alberni’s Major Crime Unit observed a wanted man in his 40s inside one of the motel’s rooms. The man, David Daniel Bird, has been wanted by police for a series of violent offences including robbery, forcible confinement, break and enter and assault with a weapon.

READ MORE: Port Alberni RCMP search for man wanted for multiple offences

Vancouver Island RCMP tweeted out a message at 10:51 a.m. asking people to avoid the area and “for safety reasons do not share photos of police in that area.” The issue was resolved peacefully about 10 minutes later.

The RCMP’s Emergency Response Team sent a vehicle to the scene, and shortly after their arrival a witness told the AV News that a person was led out of the area in handcuffs.

Media relations officer RCMP Cpl. Alex Berube said Bird was arrested “without incident” and that there was no hostage situation at the hotel, which was a rumour circulating online. “It was basically to arrest somebody and that person was taken into custody without incident,” Berube said.

“Out of precaution they brought in more resources.”

Frontline officers were assisted by the Vancouver Island Critical Incident Command Team, which is made up of negotiators and command elements from across Vancouver Island.

Cst. Richard Johns, media relations officer for the Port Alberni RCMP, explained that the extra resources were brought in because barricaded people can lead to “inherently dangerous situations that are often fluid and dynamic.”

“We appreciate the understanding of citizens who allowed officers work through this to come to a safe end,” he added. “Officers were able to ensure this situation resolved quickly and safely through cooperation with BC EHS, Port Alberni Fire Department and staff from the City of Port Alberni.”

Bird was held for a bail hearing and remains in police custody for court appearances later this month.

A police incident is currently unfolding at the Tyee Motel in Port Alberni on Redford Street. (ELENA RARDON / Alberni Valley News)

About the Author: Alberni Valley News Staff

Read more