Kwalikum Secondary School students and staff were left out in the cold Tuesday morning after a fire was “deliberately set” in one of the bathrooms.
Qualicum Beach Fire Department chief Darryl Kohse said crews were called to the high school around 9:30 a.m. for an alarm call.
When department members got to the school, Kohse said, they were told there was a fire in the upper bathroom in the school’s older building.
Kohse said the fire was deliberately set to the toilet paper and its dispenser.
He said he was told someone had thrown water on the fire before leaving the building, so when the department arrived in the bathroom, there was only some residual fire that needed to be extinguished.