Garage sales are popular throughout Vancouver Island during the summer months.
The question is, how do you safely go about planning or visiting garage sales now that the province is in Phase 2 of COVID-19 recovery plans?
Although there are no specific restrictions against garage sales taking place, Island Health has some guidance for those wishing to host a garage sale as it is considered an event and the mass gathering order would apply:
• No more than 50 people, including the host(s), can be in attendance at one time.
• Maintain physical distance of two metres at all times; even in any lineups that may form.
• Limit the number of persons in the sale area so physical distancing can be maintained.
• Setup the sale outside instead of inside the garage.
• Increase sanitation of high-touch surfaces.
• Host should encourage people not to touch items unless they are ready to buy it; disinfect any items that are touched and not purchased.
• Increase hand hygiene; hand wash or hand sanitizer after transactions.
• Use of gloves is an option for those handling money; encourage money be left on table and step away, likewise if providing change.
• Do not host a garage sale if feeling sick or unwell and have a sign asking people to stay away if feeling sick.
• Ensure the event, including queuing off the premises, does not block pedestrians or prevent passers by from maintaining a two-metre distance from attendees.