Someone trying to make toast at the Comox Valley Airport got a little more than they bargained for Thursday afternoon.
A toaster in one of the airport offices caught fire, causing staff and travelers to evacuate the building for around half an hour.
“I guess the office was unoccupied but the toaster was doing its job toasting something and it pretty much overloaded the circuit,” said Comox Fire Rescue Chief Gord Schreiner. “There were several things plugged into the same outlet there so it caused a fire with some combustibles right beside there.”
Staff put the fire out before crews arrived on scene, and luckily, the sprinkler system was not activated. Fire crews stayed on scene to clear smoke from the building and soon gave the all clear.
No flights were affected by the small fire.