Seahawks’ Bobby Wagner regrets Twitter reaction after loss

Linebacker vented frustrations about teammate’s comments

Los Angeles Rams running back Todd Gurley, second from right, rushes for a touchdown as Seattle Seahawks’ Bobby Wagner (54) and Earl Thomas (29) look on in the first half of an NFL football game, Sunday in Seattle. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)

RENTON, Wash. (AP) — Seahawks linebacker Bobby Wagner expressed regret Wednesday for taking to social media to vent his frustrations about comments made by teammate Earl Thomas after Seattle’s blowout loss to the Los Angeles Rams.

Whether all is settled between Seattle’s star linebacker and its standout free safety is left to interpretation.

“Do I feel like I mishandled the situation? Yeah, there was a better way of going about the situation. I could have (done) better. It’s one of those things where you live and you learn and that’s kind of what it is,” Wagner said. “It’s just one of those things, it was a frustrating game, it was a frustrating situation, the game didn’t go as well as we planned and emotions get high and things of that nature. … I’m man enough to admit I handled the situation wrong.”

Wagner played in the 42-7 loss Sunday despite being limited by a hamstring injury that’s been bothering him for nearly two months. Wagner was clearly not at his normal level and Thomas questioned after the game whether Wagner should have been playing in the first place.

“To be totally honest, I think the guys that played, you’ve got to give your hats off to (Wagner) and a couple guys that played,” Thomas said after the loss. “But my personal opinion, I don’t think they should have played. The backups would have did just as good.”

Wagner sent two tweets that were later deleted. In one, he told Thomas to keep his name out of his mouth and to “stop being jealous” of other people’s success.

Both Wagner and coach Pete Carroll indicated Wednesday that the issue was settled and had been worked out between the pair at the beginning of the week. But Thomas indicated there hadn’t been a conversation to quell any lingering problems.

“There was no conversation. It is what it is. Let’s move on. If that’s how you feel, that’s how you feel,” Thomas said.

Seattle has been playing short-handed on defence for most of the final two months with Cliff Avril, Richard Sherman and Kam Chancellor out for the season due to injuries. Linebacker K.J. Wright was out due to a concussion last week and Wagner was at less than 100 per cent.

The frustration reached its peak Sunday as Seattle lost its second straight game and put its playoff hopes in severe jeopardy. Wagner didn’t play well. Thomas didn’t play well. No one played well in the most lopsided defeat of Carroll’s tenure.

Thomas didn’t want to use the injuries as an excuse for the poor play.

“It’s not hard to do. Guys got to make up in their mind that we want to win,” Thomas said. “We don’t want to go out there just for stats. We want to win.”

Wagner went through an extensive pregame warmup while Carroll and members of the athletic training staff watched. He said the hamstring felt the same as it had in previous weeks since first begin injured on Oct. 29 against Houston.

But he was notably moving slower against the Rams. He said unlike previous game when the pain in his hamstring would dissipate, it never went away against the Rams.

“It felt like it did all the other weeks. Last week it didn’t work out the way it had in the previous weeks,” Wagner said. “Again, we live and we learn. I learned a lot about my body. I learned a lot about my mind. Would I do the same thing over? I would, because I’m a fighter, I love this team, I love this game, I want to be out there. I want to be out there to help and I felt like I could.”

Wagner was eventually pulled in the third quarter after Los Angeles took a 40-0 lead. He was also pulled in the third quarter the previous week in the loss to Jacksonville.

“I just didn’t feel like I had that burst to kind of make some of the plays I was used to making,” Wagner said.

NOTES: Wright has cleared the concussion protocol and returned to practice Wednesday. … Seattle has to make a decision on CB DeShawn Shead by the end of the week. Shead started the year on the physically unable to perform list and it’s his final week of practice before he either needs to be added to the active roster or declared out for the season. Seattle does have one open roster spot.

___

For more NFL coverage: http://www.pro32.ap.org and http://www.twitter.com/AP_NFL

Tim Booth, The Associated Press

NFL

Just Posted

Campaign aims to raise $50K for young family of deceased Vancouver Island skydiver

James Smith, 34, died July 5 following incident in Nanoose Bay

Cowichan rallying around family after rare disorder leaves teen partially paralyzed

Sammy Dubois, 14, disgnosed with rare neurological disorder

Missing Port Alberni man found deceased

47-year-old had been missing since late June: RCMP

TV star’s family selling Vancouver Island Beach Resort

You can own Jason Priestley’s Terrace Beach Resort in Ucluelet for less than $5 million

B.C. appeals judge’s decision to leave three clubhouses in Hells Angels hands

The province has filed two notices of appeal related to the B.C. Supreme Court decision

VIDEO: Victoria’s Raging Grannies call for end to public funding of for-profit senior homes

Organizer says COVID-19 has made senior home issues more apparent

Sooke Crisis Centre closes doors

Services previously offered to be dispersed throughout community support groups

Canadian policing organization calls for decriminalization of simple illicit drug possession

Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police want policing focus of opioid crisis to be replaced with a health one

Survey, hotline launched amid probe into racist blood-alcohol guessing game at B.C. hospital

Mary Ellen Turpel-Lafond has been appointed to lead an investigation by Health Minister Adrian Dix

RCMP disarm man experiencing mental health crisis in Campbell River

Man pulled a knife on officers and then held it to his own throat expressing a desire to die

Saanich police identify suspect in Brydon Park assault

No charges sworn, no arrest made as of July 9

Jamie Bacon pleads guilty to charge in Surrey Six case

The plea brings an end to a complex legal case that has spanned more than a decade

17-year-old girl from Nanaimo reported missing

RCMP asking for help finding Trisha Harry

Filing deadline in RCMP sexual-harassment class-action extended due to COVID-19

Plaintiffs now have until January 2021 to submit claims for up to $222,000

Most Read