EDMONTON (CP) — The Alberta government says it will not provide financial support for Edmonton’s bid to be one of the host cities for the 2026 FIFA Men’s World Cup.
Canada Soccer had announced that Edmonton, Montreal and Toronto are the three Canadian cities on the potential list of host cities for the event.
But on Thursday Alberta Culture and Tourism told CTV News that the province would not commit to providing funds for Edmonton’s bid.
A spokesperson for the department said it was a difficult decision, but there isn’t enough information available to determine how hosting the event would affect Alberta taxpayers.
Peter Montopoli, general secretary of the Canadian Soccer Association, says Edmonton remains a candidate host city, but acknowledges some questions still have to be answered.
He says the extent of provincial investment depends on the business case Edmonton comes up with.
On Tuesday, Ottawa announced its official support for Canadian cities in the bid — promising up to $5 million in immediate help if the unified bid is selected.
The bid calls for ten matches each hosted in Canada and Mexico, with the remaining 60 games to be held in the U.S.
Earlier this week Vancouver joined Chicago and Minneapolis in dropping out of the running over concerns about FIFA’s demands.