B.C. Health Minister Adrian Dix addresses British Columbians at a press conference Monday detailing the latest COVID-19 case count and government responses. (B.C. Government image)

B.C. Health Minister Adrian Dix addresses British Columbians at a press conference Monday detailing the latest COVID-19 case count and government responses. (B.C. Government image)

Editorial: British Columbians asked to re-commit to COVID-19 fight

More than 1,100 cases over the Halloween weekend should strengthen our resolve

B.C.’s health minister says the province, and much of the world for that matter, have entered into a “significant new phase” of the pandemic.

We saw some statistics along those lines this week when case numbers came in for the three-day period that included Halloween weekend: 1,120 new COVID-19 cases in B.C.

The curve that we’ve been trying to flatten for months stubbornly climbs, and though the vast majority of B.C.’s cases are in the Fraser Valley, we have seen COVID-19 cases tick upward in other places, too.

We’re going on eight months since the pandemic was declared an emergency, with no end in sight – the virus will still be with us for “months and months and months and months and months and months,” said Health Minister Adrian Dix. For those who have followed health and safety precautions for so long, it can be wearisome and frustrating to see anti-maskers and others flouting the guidelines.

But the government isn’t asking much more of us in this second wave. Other than a provincial order last week to limit contacts outside our households to a “safe six,” the advice is the same. Dix requested Monday that people “re-commit” to following health and safety best practices, and that they ask others they talk to to re-commit, as well.

“We need to seal the cracks and close the gaps that COVID-19 exploits,” the minister said.

Some British Columbians will see our rising case numbers and worry that we should have stricter measures in place. But there is no case-count threshold for new rules, say health officials. Dix said the public health orders are based on detailed analysis “by some of the most qualified people in the world.” Dr. Réka Gustafson, B.C.’s deputy provincial health officer, said health officials are continually monitoring the epidemic and assessing the system’s ability to control it and respond.

Maybe a four-digit case count can give us the Halloween fright, but we don’t need to be scared – just safe, sanitized and in small groups.

For more news from Vancouver Island and beyond delivered daily into your inbox, please click here.

RELATED: B.C. reports 6 new COVID-19 deaths and a record-breaking 1,120 cases over the weekend

RELATED: Canada on track to see 8,000 new COVID cases a day if contacts not cut by 25%



editor@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Coronavirus

Just Posted

A sign at the entrance to Ty-Histanis asks visitors to stay out of the community during the COVID-19 pandemic. (Westerly file photo)
Tofino-Ucluelet region urges visitors to stay away for two weeks

The West Coast is pausing its winter tourist season temporarily due to rising COVID-19 numbers

Leah Davis, store manager at Oscar & Libby’s in downtown Victoria, sets out stock at their Fort Street location. The pandemic has changed the way this retailer and others do business, says owner Teri Hustins. (Don Descoteau/News Staff)
Pandemic alters holiday business strategies for Victoria merchants

Many independent merchants count on holiday shopping to get them through quiet periods

Victoria has ranked seventh in a report scoring tech talent in Canada. (Provided by Tim Teh)
Victoria ranks seventh in Canadian tech talent

Canada’s top tech markets were ‘largely unfazed by the pandemic,’ states report

The prevalence of crashes in intersections, like this one at Blanshard Street and Saanich Road, has Saanich’s mayor seeking more information on the effectiveness of red-light cameras in changing driver behaviour. (Travis Paterson/News Staff)
More red-light cameras may be part of the future for Capital Region drivers

Saanich mayor wants CRD traffic safety commission to research effectiveness of intersection cameras

Penny Hart is emotional outside the Saanich Police Department as she pleads for helpt to find her son Sean Hart last seen Nov. 6 at a health institution in Saanich. (Devon Bidal/News Staff)
VIDEO: Mother of missing Saanich man begs public to help find her son

Sean Hart last seen leaving Saanich mental health facility Nov. 6

Island Health reported an exposure of COVID-19 at Sir James Douglas Elementary on Nov. 23. Those with high-risk exposures have been contacted directly, the health authority says. (Google maps)
Victoria elementary school added to list of COVID-19 exposures

Fairfield school is the capital region’s third school listed with an exposure this month

An aerial view of Zeballos. (Photo/A. Janisse)
Zeballos closes public service areas ahead of second wave

Library, landfill and village office closed until further notice, says mayor

Victoria police are warning people after two Victoria residents fell victim to financial scams on Nov. 18 and 19. (Black Press Media File photo)
VicPD issues warning after two Victoria residents scammed $3,500

In both cases, the fraudsters were posing as financial services employees

Emergency crews are on scene at a motor vehicle incident involving multiple vehicles at Bowen Road and Dufferin Crescent. (Chris Bush/News Bulletin)
Two people hurt in multi-vehicle crash at Bowen and Dufferin in Nanaimo

Motor vehicle incident blocking a section of Bowen Road

A light display on Northumberland Avenue was recognized as one of the best in the city last year. (Greater Nanaimo Chamber of Commerce photo)
Nanaimo’s Christmas light-up event renamed Illuminight

Judging will take place the evening of Dec. 13

Most Read