A mountaintop fire in the Green Mountain area north of Lake Cowichan proved challenging for crews to access but is now largely under control. (B.C. Wildfire Service photo)

Wildfire north of Cowichan Lake now largely under control

Crews have been on the scene since Friday

A wildfire on Green Mountain north of Cowichan Lake and southwest of Nanaimo remains largely under control.

The fire sparked up on Friday and grew to 15 hectares by end of day Saturday. It was at 16 hectares by Sunday morning, and hasn’t grown in size since then.

It is believed to have been caused by lightning.

BC Wildfire Service spokesperson Dorthe Jakobsen reported that it was 65 per cent under control on Wednesday morning. The remaining 35 per cent is burning on cliffsides.

“It is steep and unreachable,” she explained. “So it will take us some time to work on that. The mop-up is ongoing.”

As of Wednesday morning, there were 40 firefighters, four fallers, two helicopters and other heavy equipment on the scene.

bc wildfires

Just Posted

Pedestrian dies in motor vehicle incident along the highway near Nanaimo Airport

Police investigating scene where 37-year-old woman from Nanaimo died

Victoria police make arrest in Centennial Square stabbing

One man was left with non-life-threatening injuries Saturday morning

Visitors and bylaw officers targetted by vandals on Vancouver Island’s West Coast

Tofino mayor condemns vandalism against tourists, says bylaw staff also being targeted

Lamborghini driver slapped with nearly $1,000 in fines while speeding in Central Saanich

Vehicle impounded by Central Saanich police, 11 points issued

VIDEO: Ojibwe man marks completion of five-day ‘healing walk’ from Hope to Saanich

Claremont Secondary students join celebration in Cordova Bay

Weekend sees 267 cases, 3 deaths in B.C.; Dr. Henry says events leading to COVID spread

There are currently 1,302 active cases in B.C., while 3,372 people are under public health monitoring

B.C. VOTES 2020: Echoes of HST in B.C. debate over sales tax

Cannabis, tobacco, luxury cars still taxed in B.C. Liberal plan

She warned her son about toxic drugs, then he was dead

Donna Bridgman’s son died at the age of 38 in Vancouver

Duration of Tour de Rock stop in Chemainus much shorter than usual

Four alumni riders don’t get to come for breakfast in COVID year

B.C. food and beverage producers set record sales in 2019

Farmed salmon again leads international exports

Thief steals ice cream bars from Oak Bay Dairy Queen

Oak Bay resident out nearly $10,000 as CRA scam strikes again

Police seek help in naming Cowichan farmstand theft suspect

Video captured man prying cash box out stand on Norcross Road

Most Read