An early morning fire Oct. 19 (Tuesday) at a motel in Courtenay used for supportive housing sent one person to hospital and displaced residents.
Around 3:15 a.m., the Courtenay Fire Department responded to a fire at the Travelodge Courtenay at 2605 Cliffe Ave. Upon arrival with a crew of 21 firefighters, heavy smoke and flames could be seen from the second floor of one of the wings of the building, explained fire chief Kurt MacDonald.
“The fire spread along the roofline into the soffits and attic and spread into two neighbouring suites,” he added. “It was a difficult fire because it got up in the roof and we were worried about it spreading. We were able to stop the fire in the attic.”
One person inside of the neighbouring rooms was transferred by BC Ambulance to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. Comox Valley RCMP and support services arrived to assist residents to a nearby reception centre for additional help.
MacDonald said their department initiated a mutual aid call with Comox Fire Rescue who supported extinguishing the fire with two additional fire trucks. BC Hydro attended and the Comox Valley Regional District supplied a bus to help with emergency support services.
The one wing of the motel has smoke, water and fire damage, he added, but he anticipates the second wing could be occupied following further inspection.
In terms of the cause of the fire, MacDonald noted he knows which area and room it began, but cannot confirm the cause of the fire until the fire inspector and the RCMP conclude their investigation.