The Campbell River Fire Department provided this photo showing a structure fire on Old Petersen Road on Aug. 12, 2019.

Three Vancouver Island fires, three failed smoke detectors

Fire chief urges residents to check smoke detectors following structure fires in Campbell River

A Vancouver Island fire department is warning residents to check their smoke detectors following a series of three structure fires.

“What’s important in all of three of these is none of them had working smoke alarms,” said Campbell River Fire Chief Thomas Doherty.

On Aug. 12, flames destroyed the upper part of a two-storey home on Old Petersen Road. In that case, firefighters were told the alarms didn’t go off, Doherty said.

“The second floor of the home was fully involved in fire when we arrived,” he said, adding that one male was transported to hospital for smoke inhalation and burns to his hands.

The owner of the home said there was some “smoking material on the bed that may have been knocked over,” resulting in the blaze, according to Doherty.

Doherty couldn’t specify the kind of smoking material it was, but said it might have been a cigarette.

The upper storey of the home will need to be replaced entirely, and there was water damage to the lower floor, he said. A short video clip posted to social media by the Campbell River Fire Department shows dark smoke billowing from the home as flames consume the second storey.

Doherty added that firefighters were able to prevent the fire from spreading to various structures, including an RV, a mobile home and a portable garage.

Two smaller fires also took place late last week, and both cases involved smoke alarms that didn’t go off, he said.

On Aug. 15 at a townhouse development on Rockland Road, ambulance workers discovered a fire while responding to a medical call, he said.

Fire crews contained it to a burning mattress in a bedroom, Doherty said, adding that it was another case of “smoking material on a bed.”

The third incident was a kitchen fire at an apartment building on 9th Avenue early on the morning of Aug. 16.

Fortunately, that fire was already out by the time firefighters arrived on-scene, where they found smoke in the unit and the hallway.

There were signs of a grease fire that damaged the hood and fan of the stove and scorched the walls.

Just Posted

Bear shot with crossbow arrow believed dead

BC Conservation, police track injured black bear’s blood trail near Lost Lake Road

Students and teachers to unite in Monday’s climate action rally

A teach-in for climate justice is set to take place at the B.C. Legislature this afternoon

Hybrid vessels part of B.C. Ferries’ plans to reduce emissions

Long-term goal of B.C. Ferries is to have a “standardized” all-electric fleet

Former runaway teen helps find missing youths through social media

Alex Meikle created the Facebook group Greater Victoria Missing & Runaway Teens

VIDEO: “How dare you?” Greta Thunberg addresses UN climate summit

‘We are in the beginning of a mass extinction and yet all you can talk about is money.’

Pettersson has 4 points as Canucks dump Ottawa 6-4

Vancouver wins NHL pre-season tilt in Abbotsford

British man returns to Yukon to tipple his own toe in long-running tradition

So-called sourtoe cocktail is a shot of whisky with a mummified human toe in it

Poll suggests Canadians concerned about fake news, but struggle to spot it

56 per cent of respondents admitted to reading or sharing inaccurate news

Bank robber targets Langford RBC

RCMP say robber produced a note, left with cash

Hawaii coral show signs of stress amid record-setting heat

June, July and parts of August all experienced the hottest ocean temperatures ever recorded

Province announces $3.5 million in funding for community solutions to overdose crisis

Grants up to $50,000 will be available for municipalities working with a regional health authority

Sophia Loren, Valentino receive standing ovation in Milan

Standing ovation from fashion and Hollywood A-listers at annual Green Carpet event

‘Own a piece of history’: Beachcombers location Molly’s Reach up for sale

‘This is one of B.C.’s most photographed buildings’

Most Read