Theft shuts down downtown Nanaimo barber shop

That 50’s Barber Shop owner Dave Lawrence has tools of the trade and collectible items stolen

The chair in That 50’s Barber Shop is empty today.

Dave Lawrence arrived at his shop Wednesday morning, Feb. 5, to find it had been broken into and his barbering tools were gone along with many of his personal collectible items he displays in the shop.

“I came to work today and my shop was broken into,” Lawrence said. “It’s unfortunate. They had a key apparently and that’s even more concerning, I feel, for all of the businesses here in the building … all my tools are gone, my clippers, my scissors. My scissors I’ve had for 19 years and a lot of my collectibles that I have are all gone.”

Lawrence broke down as he described the scissors his grandmother had given him when he started barbering school.

The barbering tools are valued at about $1,500, but Lawrence does not have replacements and he can’t work and earn a living without them.

“The police came and they dusted for prints, but who knows what they’re going to find,” Lawrence said, as his wife, Kim, tried to comfort him.

READ ALSO: Nanaimo barber asking community to help give kids Fresh Start for back-to-school

Lawrence, who has operated the shop from its Victoria Crescent location for 13 years, has previously been a victim of burglary. In 2017, back packs and school supplies, donated for Fresh Start – a community charity drive Lawrence spearheads to help underprivileged children return to school each year with school supplies and haircuts – were stolen when a storage unit was broken into.

READ ALSO: Backpacks intended for charity stolen from barbershop

Lawrence said he’s concerned and not just for his business. He fears other businesses around him will also be broken into, and he also worries about his ability to support his family until he can replace his tools.

Whoever is responsible for the thefts was selective about what they pilfered. Lawrence scanned the shop as he spoke, noticing bare spots on walls and shelves where his things – a GI Joe doll, Pulp Fiction action figures, a switchblade comb – were when he went home for the night Tuesday.

“It’s difficult. I had a ’60s GI Joe replica in a box taken … a lot of people comment on when they come in here and there are other things that were taken that are just very personal things,” he said. “Just my tools and my collectibles. The thing is, they took my tools and my blending shears that I’ve had since I was in barbering school. Those are the biggest, ugliest things, but yeah, I have a lot of collectibles in here and they took them.”

Lawrence said he’s been “financially strapped” and unable to afford insurance for the business.

“Even if we had insurance, unfortunately it wouldn’t be quick enough to help open up the shop tomorrow,” Kim said.

As he took stock, merchants from nearby businesses, friends and relatives who’d heard the news stopped in offering condolences and donations.

An online fundraiser was immediately set up and can be viewed at http://www.gofundme.com/f/help-barber-dave-recover-from-theft.

Const. Gary O’Brien, Nanaimo RCMP spokesman, said an undisclosed amount of cash from a float kept on the premises was also taken.

Police hope the public can help track down some of the items, especially the tools, which included a black Wahl fast speed clipper, burgundy Oster Titan clipper and a burgundy Oster T edger.

“We’re actively pursuing this crime and we’re hoping the public can assist us,” O’Brien said.

Anyone with information is asked to call Nanaimo RCMP at 250-754-2345 To remain anonymous call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or submit a tip online at www.nanaimocrimestoppers.com.



photos@nanaimobulletin.com
Like us on
Facebook and follow us on Twitter

crimetheft

 

Dave Lawrence, owner of That 50s Barber Shop, arrived at his shop in downtown Nanaimo to find he would not be able to earn his living Wednesday, Feb. 5, after all his barbering tools and many of his collectibles were stolen overnight. (CHRIS BUSH/The News Bulletin)

Just Posted

Wildfire smoke expected to blanket Greater Victoria again

Conditions expected to worsen Wednesday afternoon but not approach levels reached a few weeks ago

Former Victoria Royals manager celebrates Stanley Cup win

Grant Armstrong is now an amateur scout with Tampa Bay Lightning

PHOTOS: Killer whales make rare visit into Ladysmith Harbour

Orca pod inspires some fine photography

Tofino considers beach fire ban after tumultuous summer

Fires popping up where they aren’t allowed, and not properly cared for where they are

Editorial: Shake of the fatigue and bring this pandemic march home

With the finish line getting closer, don’t let up in the battle against COVID-19

105 new COVID-19 cases, 1 death as health officials urge B.C. to remember safety protocols

There are currently 1268 active cases, with 3,337 people under public health monitoring

U.S. Presidential Debate Takeaways: An acrid tone from the opening minute

Here are key takeaways from the first of three scheduled presidential debates before Election Day on Nov. 3

Sooke, Sidney businesses win top awards during the BC Food and Beverage Awards

Sheringham Distillery won Gold Award for Product of Year while Cascadia Seaweed won Innovation Award

Chorus expands online options to in-person rehearsal in Langford, Oak Bay

Free, non-auditioned SingYourJoy recruits those aged 16 to 29

Nanaimo’s new NightOwls baseball team announces first player signings

Four NCAA Div. 1 players, three of them Canadians, added to roster

Bucket list: Mid-Island set to come alive with special drumming

Pair of programs scheduled to take place starting October

B.C. nurses report rise in depression, anxiety, exhaustion due to pandemic

A new UBC study looks into how the COVID-19 response has impacted frontline nurses

National child-care plan could help Canada rebound from COVID-induced economic crisis: prof

A $2 billion investment this year could help parents during second wave of pandemic

Search suspended for Indigenous elder last seen mushroom picking in northwest B.C.

Mushroom picker Thomas (Tommy) Dennis has been missing since Sept. 16

Most Read