Mail service that was previously suspended due to safety concerns over a homeless encampment on Quinsam Road has been resumed. Photo by Mike Davies/Campbell River Mirror

Mail service that was previously suspended due to safety concerns over a homeless encampment on Quinsam Road has been resumed. Photo by Mike Davies/Campbell River Mirror

Tent city gone, mail service resumes for Campbell River neighbourhood

Canada Post suspended service due to safety concerns surrounding homeless encampment

The residents of a rural Campbell River neighbourhood don’t have to get their mail from the post office downtown anymore.

Canada Post had stopped delivery to the Quinsam Road area’s community mailbox at the beginning of September, citing concerns “linked to the behaviour of individuals in the nearby homeless camp,” according to the letter sent to the city at the time.

The community mailbox has since been relocated, however, and the homeless camp has been removed, prompting Canada Post to resume service earlier this month.

“We have relocated the community mailbox to a safer location, which is actually closer for most residents,” says Benjamin Berman, manager of government and community affairs (BC) for Canada Post in a letter received by council Nov. 16. “The feedback we’ve received from the community thus far has been very positive.”

Coun. Ron Kerr says he’s heard similar feedback from the residents of the neighbourhood.

“I’ve been talking with some of the residents up there and they’re very happy with the new location for the mailbox,” Kerr says. “Supposedly the last one was in the middle of a puddle and you had to put on your boots to get to it once it started raining. The new one is closer to their homes and a lot better for service.”

Kerr added that the neighbourhood residents have also been expressing their thanks for the removal of the homeless camp.

“They’re quite appreciative for the removal of the illegal campsite and the work that the city and the province did to make that happen,” Kerr said.

The removal of the camp was a bit complicated, as it was unclear back in August which level of government had jurisdiction over the property. Once it was determined that it was Crown land under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations & Rural Development, it was indicated that unless there was somewhere else for the homeless to go or there was an immediate risk to public safety, they would not force the campers to leave.

In early October, the RCMP determined that there was, in fact, a risk to public safety due to the camp.

“When it comes down to it, there have been reports of domestic assaults out there, we’ve found stolen property out there, we’ve found kids that are listed as missing intoxicated out there and from a risk management standpoint,” said Const. Maury Tyre at the time. “Unfortunately, it’s a location that did have some issues.”

The ministry, along with the RCMP, shut down the camp on Oct. 30, and the campers were notified of an option to camp at Nunns Creek Park under a bylaw that does not allow semi-permanent structures to be set up.

RELATED: Nearby residents want action taken on homeless camp

RELATED: Eviction notice expected for Quinsam Road homeless camp



miked@campbellrivermirror.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Campbell RiverHomelessness

Just Posted

West Shore RCMP pulled over a 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee on Nov. 23 after noting that it didn’t appear safe for the road. (West Shore RCMP)
West Shore RCMP pull over vehicle held together by tape and cargo strap

RCMP deemed the vehicle unsafe for the road and had it towed away

Picture of two swans leaving the Cowichan estuary moments before one was shot out of the sky. (Submitted photo)
Petition to stop hunting in Cowichan estuary after swan shot

Hunting allowed in area, some seeking to change that after ‘act of sickening, malicious destruction’

Over 6,000 customers were affected by the power outage that started on Nov. 17. (BC Hydro photo)
BC Hydro crews worked 16 hour days to turn the North Island’s power back on

BC Hydro runs one transmission line to Northern Vancouver Island so there was no backup line.

Gordon Viberg was the fifth person to be diagnosed with COVID-19 at the Royal Jubilee Hospital. (Provided by the Victoria Hospitals Foundation)
Islander awakens from the ordeal of COVID-19

Gordon Viberg, Royal Jubilee’s ‘patient 5’ recalls being so weak he couldn’t get out of bed

Artist Daniel Cline discusses his sculpture, Harmony Humpbacks, during the June 20 walking tour of Oak Bay’s 2019 ArtsAlive sculptures. Harmony Humpbacks was purchased by Oak Bay as the 2019 people’s choice winner and is permanently installed at the Beach Drive entrance to Willows Park. (Kevin Murdoch Photo)
Influx of donated art a ‘fantastic problem to have,’ says Oak Bay mayor

Oak Bay goes from zero to 10 permanent art pieces since 2015

A man wearing a face mask to help curb the spread of COVID-19 walks in downtown Vancouver, B.C., Sunday, Nov. 22, 2020. The use of masks is mandatory in indoor public and retail spaces in the province. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
B.C. records deadliest day of pandemic with 13 deaths, 738 new COVID-19 cases

Number of people in hospital is nearing 300, while total cases near 30,000

Bystanders attend to a cyclist who is knocked to the pavement of Oak Bay Avenue. Witnesses say the cyclist was knocked off their bike in a dooring incident on Oak Bay Avenue at Fell Street at around 12:40 p.m. on Wednesday. 
(Daniel Opden Dries Photo)
VicPD tickets driver for ‘dooring’ cyclist on Oak Bay Avenue

Incident occurred at Oak Bay Avenue and Fell Street

(File photo)
Alberta woman charged after allegedly hitting boy with watermelon at Okanagan campsite

Police say a disagreement among friends at an Adams Lake campsite turned ugly

Court of Appeal for British Columbia in Vancouver. (File photo: Tom Zytaruk)
B.C. woman loses appeal to have second child by using late husband’s sperm

Assisted Human Reproduction Act prohibits the removal of human reproductive material from a donor without consent

A Nanaimo driver was sentenced Monday for fatally striking a high school student with his vehicle in 2019. (News Bulletin file photo)
Nanaimo driver sentenced after motor vehicle incident that killed teen last year

Brandon Geoffrey Murdoch fined and prohibited from driving for two years

Two of the weapons seized in a Nov. 8 traffic stop in Black Creek. Photo supplied by RCMP
RCMP seize guns, drugs in Black Creek traffic stop

Two arrested in connection with incident

An excavator was stolen from a rural property south of Nanaimo this month, say police. (Photos submitted)
Excavator stolen from property in Nanaimo’s Extension area

Bobcat Mini believed to have been stolen between Nov. 12-14

Kwalikum Secondary School. (SD69 photo)
Schools superintendent says protocols don’t change after COVID-19 exposure at Qualicum Beach high school

Elder: ‘We were assured by the Health Authority that the school is safe’

Most Read