Suspect with pellet gun draws serious police response in downtown Nanaimo

Officers respond with guns drawn at Port Place shopping centre

Nanaimo RCMP responded with guns drawn after receiving reports of a man with a firearm at Port Place shopping centre yesterday.

According to a press release, officers were called out to the downtown mall at about 3:30 p.m. Thursday.

RCMP arrested two men, but released one after determining he was not the suspect. The other, a 45-year-old man, was taken into custody and a pellet gun was found in nearby bushes.

“This was considered a high-risk situation for the attending officers and accordingly, their service pistols were drawn during the arrests. Thankfully, for all involved, the situation was resolved peacefully and in a timely manner,” said Const. Gary O’Brien, Nanaimo RCMP spokesman, in the release.

Police say there were no reports that the man who had been in possession of the gun had made any threats or pointed the gun at anyone, so “the individual was not charged with any firearm or criminal offence, and later released from custody.”

The pellet gun was seized and will be destroyed according to policy.

READ ALSO: Shoplifting way down, break-and-enters up in Nanaimo during COVID-19 pandemic

READ ALSO: Thieves taking advantage of empty streets, say Nanaimo RCMP



editor@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

crime

Just Posted

Island man’s brother and cousin shot dead during Chicago protests

Ladysmith school principal Dionte Jelks doubts he’ll ever set foot on US soil again

Monday rang in partial return of school across Vancouver Island

School District reopening of schools came with revised health measures

Federal government says no to relaxing log export rules

News comes after Steelworkers, Mosaic ask for ‘temporary relief’ on log export policy

Fire at Victoria hotel contained to one room, leaves 20 suites in need of remediation

Fire crews extinguished the blaze at the Comfort Inn in 12 minutes

B.C. records four new COVID-19 cases, Abbotsford hospital outbreak cleared

Four senior home outbreaks also declared over, eight still active

Victoria man identified as victim in Thunder Bay murder

Police investigating after Paul Vivier, 29, discovered in hotel

Firefighters called for technical rescue at Sooke Potholes

Woman breaks her leg while walking along riverbed

Island mayor joins fight to protect wildlife from rat poisoning after second owl dies

Saanich Mayor Fred Haynes to meet with provincial, federal pest control industry representatives

San Group opens Island’s first new sawmill in 15 years

New Alberni operation first in the west coast in a long time

Lake Cowichan firefighters douse blaze at vacant shop

Sahtlam called in for mutual aid as motorhome also burns

About 30% of B.C. students return to schools as in-class teaching restarts amid pandemic

Education minister noted that in-class instruction remains optional

Be cautious expanding COVID-19 bubble, Dr. Bonnie Henry tells B.C.

Senior homes stay off-limits as schools, businesses reopen

Most Read