The threatening post, with the poster’s name and expletives blacked out. (contributed)

The threatening post, with the poster’s name and expletives blacked out. (contributed)

Suspect arrested after Kelowna mayor receives death threat

RCMP say a 52-year-old man was arrested after an online post called for Kelowna’s mayor to be shot

Update—May 15, 10:47 a.m.

Kelowna RCMP say they have arrested a man in relation to a online threat against Kelowna Mayor Colin Basran.

The suspect, a 52-year-old Kelowna man, faces potential criminal charges, according to the RCMP.

He was released on strict conditions and is expected to appear in court on June 24, 2019.

Police confirmed Wednesday morning they were investigating a threat made against “a City of Kelowna official.”

After receiving a report of the threat Tuesday evening, the Kelowna RCMP said they identified and arrested a suspect.

Update—May 15, 10:30 a.m.

Kelowna Mayor Colin Basran has responded to a threat against him posted on social media.

The threat called for someone to shoot the mayor and prompted his family to report the threat to the RCMP.

In an post of his own on Instagram, Basran said criticism is expected by people who run for, and hold, public office. But the threat posted against him went too far.

“When you put your name forward and are selected to serve the people of your community, you expect some criticism,” wrote Basran. “But the post above goes beyond anything I would have ever expected.”

He said while the posted threat may not appear to be “a big deal” to some, it was is incredibly hurtful to both him and his family.

“So much so, I’ll admit it brought me to tears. I’m scared, angry, sad and everything in between,” wrote the mayor, who was re-elected to a second term in October.

“I put up with a lot of criticism at times, but threatening my safety is completely unacceptable! If this is the new norm for elected officials, I want no part of it. Not even sure what else to say.”

Original story:

The father of Kelowna Mayor Colin Basran says his son is “devastated” by an online death threat he received following council’s approval of a controversial development proposal in the city.

George Basran said the threat was reported to the RCMP after it was posted in the comments section of the InfoNews.ca website. The comment has since been taken down.

The post called for the shooting of Basran in light of council’s approval Monday of a planned six-storey residential building on Groves Avenue in the South Pandosy area of the city.

The proposal was defeated in a tied voted following a public hearing last month, but on Monday Basran, using his mayoral executive privilege, brought the issue back for a second vote. This time, with a full council, it was approved 5-4.

READ MORE: Second time lucky for proposed Kelowna development—thanks to mayor

Since then, there has been backlash against the council decision by south Pandosy area residents upset by the decision.

But that was taken a step farther Tuesday with the death threat.

George Basran said his son is shaken and the threat was reported to the police. The RCMP have yet to respond to inquiries about the threat.

The elder Basran said he advised his son to seek a restraining order against the person who wrote: “Put a bullet in this f**ktard.”

In an earlier post, the same poster wrote of Basran: “Why is this f**king clown still in office? Before long Kelowna will look like False Creek, Vancouver.”

Basran said before the post was taken down, he was able to check a profile of the writer, who was described as a man in his late 30s who lived in the Lower Mission area of the city.

George Basran said he feels people need stood up to those who make threats via the Internet.

“We’re not going to let this lie,” he said. “You can’t ignore this kind of thing.”

He said his son, who was re-elected to a second term in October, has received threats in the past, but never life-threatening ones.

Colin Basran, who did not immediately return calls Wednesday morning, has a young family and his father said he is concerned about the safety of his son’s wife and children in light of the threat.

To report a typo, email:
newstips@kelownacapnews.com
.


@KelownaCapNews
newstips@kelownacapnews.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Stephen “Dusty” Roberts had a feeling this could be his last photo with his dad, Gordon Roberts, from outside the Broadmead care home. (Stephen Roberts Photo)
Vancouver Island man honouring father’s legacy with birdfeeders for shut-ins

Gordon Roberts loved his birdfeeder, his son is spreading that with Greater Victoria seniors

Braden Holtby’s new mask designed in collaboration with Luke Marston and David Gunnarsson. (Mike Wavrecan photo)
Quinn: Art is more than simple expression in First Nations culture

Indigenous artwork has a connection to its people, and vice versa

Royston resident and photographer Tanja Kerr took a quick video of two eagles taking a quick dip in the water earlier this week. Video still/Tanja Kerr
Video: Doing some eagle watching in Royston

Photographer Tanja Kerr ensures her camera is always nearby

'I swear that dog is being good,' says photo submitter Karen Jackson.
Vancouver Island looking for a few good caring canine companions

ElderDog’s goal to expand program of assisting older adults in the care and well-being of their dogs

A health-care worker prepares a dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine at a UHN COVID-19 vaccine clinic January 7, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette
Employers might be able to require COVID-19 vaccination from employees: B.C. lawyer

‘An employer must make the case’ using expert science, explains lawyer David Mardiros

U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders sits in on a COVID-19 briefing with Dr. Bonnie Henry, provincial health officer, and Adrian Dix, B.C. minister of health. (Birinder Narang/Twitter)
PHOTOS: Bernie Sanders visits B.C. landmarks through the magic of photo editing

Residents jump on viral trend of photoshopping U.S. senator into images

There are many options for enjoying a meal out locally during Dine Around and Stay in Town, on now through Feb. 7. (10 Acres Commons)
Dine Around Stay in Town Victoria carries added importance during pandemic

Special menu items for eat in or takeout/delivery, staycation deals available through Feb. 7

Sidney's Beacon Wharf
Pontoon company piqued at prospect of public-private partnership around Sidney wharf

Seagate approached to submit proposeal for public-private partnership

Saanich bylaw officers called about pickleball players in Tolmie Park violating restrictions bannig doubles play amid the pandemic. (Dino B/Facebook)
Bylaw officers called to Saanich park for COVID-19 protocol violations on pickleball court

Raquet sport players reminded to avoid doubles play amid pandemic

Peter Crema and Harmony Gray (from left), past participants of the Nanaimo Art Gallery’s Code Switching teen art group, at work in ArtLab in 2019. The NAG will be expanding the space thanks to a $75,000 arts infrastructure program grant. (Bulletin file photo)
Nanaimo Art Gallery, Nanaimo Aboriginal Centre receive new arts infrastructure funding

Province announces recipients of funding through B.C. Arts Council program

A long-term care worker receives the Pfizer vaccine at a clinic in Nanaimo earlier this month. (Island Health photo)
All Island seniors in long-term care will be vaccinated by the end of this weekend

Immunization of high-risk population will continue over the next two months

Actions of Vancouver Island RCMP emergency response team members prevented a potential head-on collision accident on the Trans-Canada Highway on Jan. 19, says Nanaimo RCMP. (News Bulletin file)
Eight cars evade vehicle driving on wrong side of highway, says Nanaimo RCMP

Incident occurred near Trans-Canada Highway-Morden Road intersection earlier this week

A COVID-19 exposure has been reported at Shawnigan Lake School. (Citizen file photo)
Island Health reports COVID-19 exposure at Shawnigan Lake School

Shawnigan Lake School has been added to the list of schools in… Continue reading

Comox Valley RCMP are looking for witnesses after the theft of a generator worth thousands of dollars. Photo supplied
RCMP asking Vancouver Island residents to watch for stolen generator

Vehicle may have been travelling on Highway 19

Most Read