A destroyed building on the Ashcroft Reserve after the 2017 Elephant Hill wildfire. Photo: Barbara Roden

VIDEO: Prosecutors to consider charges in human-caused 2017 B.C. wildfire

RCMP forwards results of its investigation into Elephant Hill fire to Crown counsel

The RCMP have concluded their investigation into the 2017 Elephant Hill wildfire and turned the file over to the BC Prosecution Service.

“This was a complex file that took the time necessary given the scope and scale of the investigation,” RCMP Staff. Sgt. Janelle Shoihet tells The Journal.

“We will continue to address any additional requirements they may have as part of the charge assessment process.”

Shoihet says that process is also a complex one.

“They have to review all the investigative findings and see what charges would be appropriate. We’re committed that if they need further information, we’ll provide that as they move forward.”

Shoihet says the case is the largest wildfire investigation she can remember.

The investigation began when the wildfire, near Ashcroft in the central interior, expanded in size on July 7, 2017.

The fire destroyed more than 200 homes and buildings, forced the evacuation of thousands of people, and burned more than 192,000 hectares. It was not completely contained until late September 2017.

Early on, authorities determined it had been human-caused.

RELATED: ATV use banned in area of Elephant Hill wildfire

READ MORE: Heart-wrenching video pays tribute to Elehpant Hill wildfire crews



editorial@accjournal.ca

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Island senior who did 120k in a 70k zone says vehicle shouldn’t have been impounded

RCMP say they can’t exercise discretion when it comes to excessive speeding tickets

West Coast Trail to remain closed for now

Federal government won’t open world-famous trek until its First Nations are ready for visitors

VIDEO: Trudeau, Atwood say ‘happy birthday’ for Robert Bateman’s 90th

Famed Canadian artist and conservationist celebrated milestone this weekend

Two Nanaimo teens on a go-kart get Tim Hortons drive-thru order

Grade 8 students at NDSS answer grandparent’s challenge

Victoria’s 75,000 veggie plants ready to find a home

New gardeners line-up for Get Growing Victoria

B.C. legislature coming back June 22 as COVID-19 emergency hits record

Pandemic restrictions now longer than 2017 wildfire emergency

Illicit-drug deaths up in B.C. and remain highest in Canada: chief coroner

More than 4,700 people have died of overdoses since B.C. declared a public health emergency in early 2016

CMHC sees declines in home prices, sales, starts that will linger to end of 2022

CMHC said average housing prices could fall anywhere from nine to 18 per cent in its forecast

B.C. Paralympian named to Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame

Three-time world and Paralympic gold medalist Sonja Gaudet is part of 11-member class

B.C.’s essential grocery, hardware store employees should get pandemic pay: retail group

Only B.C.’s social, health and corrections workers are eligible for top-ups

B.C. drive-in theatre shuts down to await appeal of car limits, concession rules

Business owner Jay Daulat voluntarily closed down the theatre awaiting a health ministry decision

Huawei executive loses court ruling, extradition case continues

Judge says allegations against Meng Wanzhou could constitute a crime in Canada

Homeless shelter at Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre creates 40 jobs

The arena can house 45 people in pop-up pods

Reddish-brown tap water raising concerns near Qualicum

French Creek campaign urges Regional District of Nanaimo to make Sandpiper system a priority

Most Read