PHOTOS: Rally at Ministry of Health calls attention to deadliest month of overdoses

Correne Antrobus rallies at the Ministry of Health building in Victoria on Friday, July 31 to draw attention to the ongoing overdose crisis. 2020 (Kendra Crighton/News Staff)
Diane McNally holds a sign advocating for more supports for people who struggle with substance use disorder, specifically meth, such as her son. (Kendra Crighton/News Staff)
Kelly Fells and Jenny Howard outside the Ministry of Health building as part of a rally aiming to call attention to the ongoing overdose epidemic. (Kendra Crighton/News Staff)
Members of the Goodridge family hold signs remembering their brother and son, Morgan, who died last month from a drug overdose. (Kendra Crighton/News Staff)
A sign advocating for the decriminalization of illicit drugs seen at Friday’s rally. (Kendra Crighton/News Staff)
Dave Keeler works for SOLID Outreach and wanted to show his support for the issue at Friday’s rally. (Kendra Crighton/News Staff)
Leslie Mcbain co-founded Moms Stop the Harm after her son, Jordan, died from a drug overdose in 2014 when he was 25 years old. (Kendra Crighton/News Staff)
The Mahoney family holds a sign with their son Michael’s photo. Michael died at 21 from a fatal overdose just days after he was accepted into a treatment center. (Kendra Crighton/News Staff)
Jenny Howards leads the crowd in chanting ‘decrim now’ and ‘not one more.’ (Kendra Crighton/News Staff)
Jenny Howard lost her son Robby at 24 years old to an overdose. (Kendra Crighton/News Staff)

A crowd of family, friends, advocates and allies gathered in front of the Ministry of Health building on Friday afternoon to ‘rage, grieve and love’ after the deadliest month of overdoses in the province.

The rally, hosted by Moms Stop the Harm and the South Island Overdose Response Network, is aiming to draw attention to the ongoing overdose crisis that has only been exacerbated by the coronavirus pandemic. Friday’s event is part of a series of rallies “ramping up” for International Overdose Awareness Day on Aug. 31, said Correne Antrobus.

READ ALSO: Black Press Media launches updated Overdose Prevention resource guide

Antrobus, whose daughter has been in active addiction for 11 years, became involved with Moms Stop the Harm about three years ago when she heard an interview with a parent who had just lost their son to an overdose. She and others have been advocating for safe supply, decriminalization and more support services for years.

In June, nearly six people died every day across the province for a total of 175 lives lost due to an overdose.

READ ALSO: Nearly 6 people died from overdoses each day in June as B.C. sees continued spike

In the first six months of 2020, B.C. has seen 728 overdose deaths compared to the 543 deaths during the same period last year.

Antrobus speaks to her daughter almost every day “to make sure she’s still alive.” She says the fact her daughter has a roof over her head and a phone have been vital to her well-being.

“Right now, I think she’s quite ingrained in [the lifestyle] and the thought of trying to get help is so overwhelming,” says Antrobus. “When she has asked for help it wasn’t available.”

Antrobus wants to see more rehabilitation facilities on the Island and has suggested the recently vacated Oak Bay Lodge would be a good place for a rehab or detox center.

At least 100 people attended Friday’s rally, banging pots and chanting “decrim now” and “not one more.” Cars driving along Blanshard street were encouraged to honk in support in an effort to get the attention of those inside the Ministry’s building.


 

Do you have something to add to this story, or something else we should report on? Email:
kendra.crighton@blackpress.ca. Follow us on Instagram.  
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

B.C. overdosesoverdose crisis

Just Posted

Five Vancouver Island First Nations call out Canada for ‘discriminatory’ food fish practices

West Coast nations say government ignoring court-won right to chinook and coho

Nanaimo woman will buy ‘supersonic’ hair dryer after $500,000 lotto win

Debra Allen won $500,000 in July 28 Lotto Max draw

Cougar euthanized after attacking little dog in Qualicum area

Owner freed pet by whacking big cat, but dog didn’t survive the attack

Battle of Fairy Creek: blockade launched to save Vancouver Island old-growth

‘Forest Defenders’ occupy road to prevent logging company from reaching Port Renfrew-area watershed

Laid-off hotel workers begin hunger strike demanding job protection

Laid-off workers not sure what they’ll do when government support programs end

B.C. records 30-50 new COVID-19 cases a day over weekend, no new deaths

Many of those testing positive were identified by contact tracing for being linked to other confirmed infections

Sand sculptor creates special eagle head in Qualicum Beach

Kaube fashions work behind Civic Centre

VicPD investigating two stabbings after confrontation in Centennial Square

Two men in hospital, one with life-threatening injuries

Rent-relief program becomes new front in fight between Liberals, opposition

Opposition trying to draw parallels between decision to have Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. run program and the WE controversy

Victoria woman attacked while taking photo of dog

Concerned woman pushed to the ground, had phone broken in Victoria park area

Ottawa sets minimum unemployment rate at 13.1% for EI calculation

Statistics Canada says the unemployment rate was 10.9 per cent in July

$45K in donations received after couple’s sudden death in Tulameen

Sarah MacDermid, 31, and Casey Bussiere, 37, died August long weekend

Most Read