A boy who donned a mask and broke into a seniors’ home last week has been caught.
Nanaimo RCMP say a 17-year-old has been arrested in connection with a break-and-enter at a seniors’ care facility June 8 at about 4 a.m. in central Nanaimo.
RCMP say the general public assisted in identifying the suspect “just days after the incident,” but charges have not yet been formally laid as the case is still under investigation.
“We felt it was prudent to advise the public of the arrest in order to lessen any lingering concerns that senior’s facilities were being targeted,” noted Const. Gary O’Brien, Nanaimo RCMP spokesman, in a press release. “Investigators believe this was an isolated incident. Having said that, it is also an excellent time for local seniors’ facilities to review their existing security measures to ensure the continued safety of residents in their care.”
The exact location of the crime was withheld for privacy and safety reasons, police said.
The boy, as a youth offender, will not be named.