Capt. Ennis Mond, Nanaimo Fire Rescue fire prevention officer, investigates a house fire on Ney Drive on Friday. Firefighters have determined the blaze started accidentally, but have not publicly released its cause. (CHRIS BUSH/The News Bulletin)

Pet cage lamps spark fire, Nanaimo home destroyed

Two guinea pigs and a pet rabbit died in blaze, no people hurt

Everyone got out safely, but a fire in north Nanaimo has displaced six people.

Nanaimo Fire Rescue was called to the 4900 block of Ney Drive at about 1:45 a.m. Friday morning to find a house fully engulfed in flames.

RELATED: Man suffers burns, dog dies in fire in Nanaimo

RELATED: Three family dogs perish in Greater Victoria house fire

There was a family of four living in the upstairs part of the house and a couple in the downstairs suite, all of them were renters and none had tenants’ insurance, though the homeowner was insured, said Nanaimo Fire Rescue.

Capt. Ennis Mond, head of Nanaimo Fire Rescue’s fire and loss prevention division, said he had determined the fire was started accidentally by two heating lamps that were being used to help keep pets warm in a cage.

“The cause was two heating lamps for pets in cages and that’s as simple as that,” Mond said.

Two guinea pigs and a pet rabbit died in the resulting fire.

He said the home had working smoke alarms that activated and he credited those with helping everyone get out safely.

“The people upstairs, for sure,” Mond said.

Mond said all tenants had either gone to stay with friends and family or were given temporary accommodations through Nanaimo’s emergency social services program.

“None of the tenants are insured,” he said.

Late Friday morning, crews returned to snuff out a hot spot in the roof.



photos@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Environment Canada issues gale warnings for most of Vancouver Island

Gale warnings in effect for most of Vancouver Island and west coast Mainland

Vancouver Island children’s author wins American award for The Moon Watched it All

Ladysmith’s Shelley Leedahl’s book took gold in the All Ages Picture Book category

Vancouver Island-penned musical sluggish and proud of it

VIU theatre department debuts instructor’s original new musical, ‘SlugFest’

Western Speedway racing legend ‘The Flying Plumber’ turns 98

Dave Cooper recalls car crashes, his first win, and more

Attraction in a hurry: Speed dating comes to Vancouver Island

Fresh Connections connecting adults in rapid succession

BC Ferries crew member taken to hospital after getting struck by bow doors

Two sailings between Horseshoe Bay and Departure Bay were cancelled

Greta Thunberg meets with First Nations chief in Fort McMurray

Thunberg has turned her protest against climate change into a global movement

Canucks hang on for 3-2 win over Rangers in New York

Vancouver scores three times in first period

More beef products recalled due to possible E. coli contamination

The food safety watchdog has been investigating possible E. coli 0157:H7

B.C. VIEWS: How to get the best deal on your ICBC car insurance

ICBC slowly being dragged into the 21st century

Pot legalization has gone ‘well’, but ‘yellow flags’ on vaping: task force chair

Canada legalized cannabis for non-medical use on Oct. 17, 2018,

Most Read