A kitchen fire on Nanaimo send one man to hospital to be checked over for smoke inhalation Monday. (File photo)

Kitchen fire in Nanaimo sends one man to hospital

Fire damage displaces tenant and visiting family members from Sixth Street residence

One man was taken to hospital for smoke inhalation after fire broke out in a kitchen Monday in Harewood.

Firefighters responded to the alarm at a residence on the 400 block of Sixth Street shortly before 4 p.m.

The fire originated on the stove and ignited the kitchen cupboards.

“The kitchen had fire damage so [firefighters] had to tear the cabinets off the wall,” said Alan Millbank, Nanaimo Fire Rescue fire prevention officer.

One tenant was living in the townhouse, but several family members were visiting for the holiday season.

“The smoke alarm alerted the occupant who was home at the time and he attempted to extinguish the fire and got it out, but he had smoke inhalation,” Millbank said.

He said the victim’s smoke inhalation was not severe and he was taken to hospital primarily for observation.

The fire and smoke damage has made the residence uninhabitable until repairs can be carried out.

“They’re not able to stay in the premises so they had to be evacuated and I guess they stayed with relatives,” Millbank said.

The tenant did not have tenant’s insurance, he said.

During the holiday season, when decorations and heaters place extra demands on electrical outlets, and accommodating visiting guests and family members, Millbank said residents need to be extra vigilant about keeping an eye open to spot potential causes of fire.

“As we’re getting closer to Christmas people should be a little more careful, with extra people staying in the house, that bedding isn’t up against baseboard heaters and that people are aware that their wiring may not be sufficient for the amount of new decorations,” he said. “Everybody’s cooking, so their ovens need to be cleaned before they cook so they don’t have oven fires.”

READ ALSO: Electrical short caused motorhome fire in Nanaimo



photos@nanaimobulletin.com
Like us on
Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

BREAKING NEWS: Coulson Aviation C-130 crashes in Australia

Three people are confirmed dead in the crash in New South Wales

B.C. RCMP spent roughly $750K on massive manhunt for Schmegelsky, McLeod

Manitoba RCMP helped with 17-day search through the province’s northern terrain

Child struck by vehicle in front of elementary school in Nanaimo

Six-year-old girl taken to Nanaimo Regional General Hospital with non life-threatening injuries

Successful end to search for kayakers along the Chemainus River

Father and son located tired and cold, but otherwise OK

One year later: Theo the giant pig settling into Sahtlam sanctuary

“He’s doing really well, lost quite a few pounds and can run now.”

Four things ‘not’ to do if you run into Prince Harry and Meghan in B.C.

Here is a list of some things you definitely should NOT do, according to the BBC

Rainfall warning issued for east Vancouver Island

Warning issued for area from Nanoose Bay to Campbell River

New nasal spray launched in Canada to combat hypoglycemic shock in diabetics

Baqsimi is a nasal spray contains three milligrams of glucagon

Island Bakery in Cobble Hill to close

Cobble Hill store in business since 1982

Vancouver Island man arrested after police seize suspected illicit drugs in Nanoose Bay

Car impounded after Port Alberni driver clocked travelling at more than twice the posted speed limit

All Carlton Cards stores closing in the coming weeks

Schurman Retail Group stores across North America will close, including 79 in Canada

Nanaimo RCMP looking for man suspected of $25,000 credit fraud

Police allege suspect racked up debt under another person’s name

Man killed by police in Lytton called 911, asking to be shot: RCMP

Howard Schantz, also known as Barry Schantz was killed following a standoff at his Lytton home

Most Read