Two people were forced out of their home by a fire yesterday morning.
Firefighters responded to a house fire on the 3300 block of Barrington Road in Nanaimo’s Rock City area shortly before 1 a.m.
“When we got there the fire was already through the roof,’ said Stuart Kenning, Nanaimo Fire Rescue assistant chief of operations. “Two people in the home had safely gotten themselves out.”
Once the fire got into the attic space of the house it burned through the roof, which collapsed.
Seven fire trucks from Nanaimo’s four fire stations responded to the alarm and firefighters had the fire snuffed out by 3:30 a.m.
Kenning said there were no injuries, but the house, a rancher Kenning estimated was built in the 1990s, is essentially destroyed. The couple who own the home have insurance.
The assistant chief said the fire appears to have started around a wood stove, but the cause of the blaze hasn’t been determined by press time.
The homeowners were put up in a hotel and, Kenning said he believes they have arranged for alternative lodging.