Proponents of Victoria’s horse carriage industry are planning a rally outside city hall Thursday night in response to Coun. Ben Isitt’s motion to ban the industry by 2023. (Facebook/Tally-Ho Carriage tours)

Horse carriage supporters to rally outside Victoria’s city hall

Owner of carriage company plans rally in response to push to shut them down

The owner of a Victoria horse-carriage company is planning a rally outside city hall Thursday night in response to a Coun. Ben Isitt’s motion to ban the carriages by 2023.

Donna Friedlander, owner of Tally-Ho Carriage Tours, posted online asking residents to take action by writing letters to council, speaking at the meeting and gathering outside city hall with something to identify themselves as a supporter of the industry – such as a “homemade sign or stuffed horse.”

“Let’s make sure council members see the support before they start work that night…” said Friedlander.

She mentions that Victoria’s four-year strategic plan didn’t include any actions on horse-drawn carriages and that Coun. Ben Isitt is “pushing his personal animal rights ideologies onto the general public” and “onto the backs of two legal, ethical businesses employing over 70 staff and 55 draft horses.”

READ ALSO: Victoria city councillor proposes to phase out horse-drawn carriages

READ ALSO: Time to shut down Montreal’s horse-drawn carriage industry: mayor

A petition to protect the industry, started by the Victoria Horse Protection Alliance in 2016, has seen a boost in numbers since the motion was put forward, and has garnered nearly 6,500 signatures – at least 3,000 of which came in since May 15.

Isitt’s motion follows years of contention around the industry, which sees large draft horses pulling carriages around the city – typically occupied with tourists.

A viral video from 2018 showed working horses struggling to get up after falling, after which the BC SPCA took a stance – asking the city for further policy development and to limit horse carriage routes.

Isitt reinvigorated the controversy with his motion earlier this month, in which he said the horse carriage industry is “ill suited to a 21st century city where we’re only seeing more and more traffic and congestion.”

On Thursday evening, council will further discuss the implications of phasing out the horse-drawn carriage industry and hear from a number of concerned residents. City of Victoria staff have been asked to report back to council on the work required to phase out the carriages at the next quarterly meeting Sept. 7.

READ ALSO: Horses from Victoria Carriage Tours involved in second incident in three months READ ALSO: Thousands sign petitions following proposal to phase out horse-drawn carriages in Victoria



nina.grossman@blackpress.ca

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Multi-generational pain of residential schools lingers on Vancouver Island

Cycles of substance abuse and tragedy linked to colonial policies

Historian recalls Nanaimo’s drunken disorder back in 1890

Imagine the seamen’s surprise when they found themselves inside a brewery, writes columnist

Victoria church displays memorial tapestry for those lost to opioid crisis

Christ Church Cathedral hosts talks on opioid crisis on June 26 and July 3

Island beekeeper wants more responsible pesticide use

Two pesticide events in two months has beekeeper asking Islanders to take care

Air Canada reviewing how crew left sleeping passenger on parked plane

In a Facebook post, the woman said she woke up ‘all alone’ on a ‘cold dark’ aircraft

Researchers say ‘text neck’ causing bone spurs to grow from millenials’ skulls

Technology use from early childhood causing abnormal bone growths in 41 per cent of young adults

Man presumed dead after boat capsizes in Columbia River

Search and rescue efforts recovered a life jacket

Man arrested for armed robbery and jewelry theft in Nanaimo

Suspect charged for robbery of Best Buy Liquor Store, theft of rings at Woodgrove Centre

Nanaimo teachers’ union president worries new deal could see job losses

Teachers’ federation and Ministry of Education negotiating with contract expiring at month’s end

Crews fight wildfire along Sea-to-Sky Highway

A cause has not been determined, although a downed power line is suspected

Complex with more than 200 apartments pitched for Nanaimo’s south end

Construction planned for next spring on Junction Avenue in Chase River

PHOTOS: Event marks one year since soccer team rescued from Thai cave

Nine players and coach took part in marathon and bike event to help improve conditions at cave

Rock climber dies after fall at Stawamus Chief in Squamish

The man had fallen about 30 metres while climbing in the Grand Wall area

Most Read