Enbridge says it will begin B.C. pipeline cleanup but gives no timeline

Tuesday’s incident has led to many being forced to limit natural gas use across the province

Enbridge Inc. says it will begin cleaning up the site of a natural gas pipeline explosion in Prince George, B.C., but the company says it does not have a timeline for how long the task will take.

In a news release Saturday, the company says the Transportation Safety Board, which is leading the investigation into Tuesday’s incident, has opened the area to begin site-safety work and clean-up planning.

An explosion Tuesday at an underground Enbridge pipeline temporarily shut down two natural gas pipelines.

READ MORE: FortisBC says work to restore gas service will continue into weekend

READ MORE: Northern B.C. pipeline explosion not criminal in nature: RCMP

The blast knocked out Enbridge’s 91-centimetre line, but the Calgary company’s 76-centimetre pipeline near the damage site is supplying natural gas on a reduced basis.

The incident has lead several major industries and institutions to switch energy sources, reduce operations or shut down temporarily.

Enbridge says it recognizes the incident has had a significant impact on the communities where the company operates, and it’s working with those communities to make sure their needs are being met.

WATCH: Man films Tuesday night’s explosion.

The Canadian Press

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Victoria’s 300th little free library comes with its own benches, lighting

New Moss Rock library marks a milestone for the Capital Regional District

Lithium-ion battery fire damages suite in Nanaimo

One man displaced from home after battery for radio-controlled toy bursts into flame while charging

Vancouver Island’s current COVID-19 case count officially hits zero

Of the 130 recorded Island Health cases, five people have died, 125 recovered

B.C. Human Rights Tribunal to hear blind community’s case against Victoria bus stops

The Canadian Federation of the Blind says bike lanes can be dangerous

Point-guard lobs no-look, three-pointer for Oak Bay High video

Trick-shot only took three times, says Oak Bay teen

‘I’m pissed, I’m outraged’: Federal minister calls out police violence against Indigenous people

Indigenous Minister Marc Miller spoke on recent incidents, including fatal shooting of a B.C. woman

Kelowna Mountie who punched suspect identified, condemned by sister

‘How did he get away with this? How is this justifiable?’

PHOTOS: Anti-racism protesters gather in communities across B.C.

More protests are expected through the weekend

Nine passengers on first flight after Campbell River airport reopens

Pacific Coastal flight 715 arrived from Vancouver on Tuesday morning

Unleashed pups not permitted in some Saanich parks

Residents reminded of summer dog restrictions within district

VIU leadership conference online for month of June

Students and community members can sign up for the speaker series and/or the excursion series

Telus headquarters to come to Victoria in ‘landmark building’ development

City sells land on coroner of Douglas and Humboldt streets for $8.1 million

Nanaimo man wanted on assault warrants

John Bates wanted following two separate incidents from earlier this year

Most Read