Diamond ring accidentally given away has been returned

Diamond ring mistakenly given away with spare change has been found and returned to its owner

A Salt Spring Island woman who accidentally gave her diamond ring away with a handful of spare change has it back in her possession.

The ring was returned Tuesday after attention drawn to the story by local media coverage alerted the person who had the ring in his possession that the ring was being sought after, and prompted him to make arrangements for its return.

Trinda Gajek, the ring’s owner, said she is grateful to have the ring back even though two of its diamonds had apparently been pried from their settings and were missing. She went on to say a jeweller in Vancouver has offered to rebuild the ring free of charge.

“There was two weird things that happened,” Gajek said. “I had a fellow text me from Vancouver. He’s a jeweller and he offered to pay it forward and build me the identical ring for free and, of course I was thinking that was quite exceptional … I’m really grateful to have the ring, despite the fact that somebody along its journey had removed two diamonds. Again, no problem. So this guy in Vancouver is wanting to replace the diamonds and refinish the ring.”



photos@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

UPDATED: East Zeballos placed under evacuation alert as “out of control” wildfire approaches homes

BC Wildfire Service says rolling debris on steep terrain poses danger to firefighters

Heat and smoke raises health risks

Rick Stiebel - Sooke News Mirror Health risks arising from heat and… Continue reading

Victoria police seize over one kilo of fentanyl, guns and cars

Andrew Ritch is facing charges of drug trafficking and firearm offences

Student group seeks cap on international tuition fees

UVic increased international fees 20 per cent for 2018-19

New marijuana regulations questioned

A smokescreen for opposition to legal pot, say some critics

B.C. wildfires 2018: Hazy skies impacting crews in spotting new fires

18,000 people are on an evacuation alert, with 3,000 homes under an evacuation order

Red Cross now accepting donations for those impacted by B.C. wildfires

The Canadian Red Cross is asking for help now and in the weeks and months ahead.

Court rules against City of Nanaimo, fire safety enforcement order denied

Supreme Court of B.C. initially made the order last month in Nanaimo

B.C. program to educate parents reduces ‘shaken baby syndrome’ by 35%

Period of PURPLE Crying was launched nearly a decade ago

Off duty fire chief douses suspicious fire while teaching son to drive

Sooke fire concerned over second suspicious bin fire this year

B.C. golfer, just 23, scores the rare albatross

Six-million-to-one shot a first for the Terrace club

Former Nanaimo CAO Tracy Samra now working for First Nation in Vancouver

Ex-city manager listed as Musqueam chief administrative officer, according to NEB filing

Independent Investivations Office looking into Sayward crash

An incident in which a vehicle under RCMP scrutiny crashed near Sayward… Continue reading

Fredericton widow swears at Trudeau during condolence call

Widow of man killed in Fredericton shooting says she swore at Trudeau during condolence call.

Most Read