Two area schools were under a Hold and Secure protocol while RCMP were out searching for a man with a knife Tuesday afternoon. (Citizen file)

Cowichan students kept indoors as police search for man with knife

Staff initiated a Hold and Secure protocol at both Tansor Elementary and École Mount Prevost

Staff initiated a Hold and Secure protocol at two Duncan-area schools Tuesday afternoon while police searched the Cowichan Lake Road area for a man with a knife.

“At 12:44 p.m. we received a call that a male had reportedly tried to injure himself with a knife,” confirmed North Cowichan/Duncan RCMP spokesperson Sgt. Trevor Busch. “He then fled from his residence on foot.”

Busch said “out of an abundance of caution,” RCMP made the decision to flood the area with officers and to notify nearby institutions, which led to hold-and-secure orders at both Tansor Elementary and École Mount Prevost.

“Public safety is our primary focus,” Busch said. “In this case, that included the safety of the man involved, but also safety of everyone in the nearby vicinity, that is why we took no risks and advised nearby schools to keep children indoors.”

Officers from North Cowichan/Duncan RCMP detachment’s frontline policing, general investigation section, Indigenous policing and community policing as well as Island District Traffic Services and police dog services all rushed to the area to help find the man.

Busch said investigators did not believe the man was a threat to anyone else and had no connection to any children attending school in the local area. Roughly an hour after the first call came in, the man was taken into custody.

School District 79 spokesperson Mike Russell said a Hold and Secure is different than a full lock-down in that during a Hold and Secure, staff ensure students are inside and the doors are locked, but life goes on as usual inside the school.

“The call was not in regards to the school, and at no time did the RCMP believe our students or staff were at risk, but the school did a Hold and Secure as a precaution,” Russell explained. “As soon as administration ensured the students were inside, this information was relayed to parents. The incident only lasted a short time before the RCMP concluded it and were able to inform our school. The Hold and Secure was lifted, and again, parents were notified.”



sarah.simpson@cowichanvalleycitizen.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Campaign aims to raise $50K for young family of deceased Vancouver Island skydiver

James Smith, 34, died July 5 following incident in Nanoose Bay

Cowichan rallying around family after rare disorder leaves teen partially paralyzed

Sammy Dubois, 14, disgnosed with rare neurological disorder

Missing Port Alberni man found deceased

47-year-old had been missing since late June: RCMP

TV star’s family selling Vancouver Island Beach Resort

You can own Jason Priestley’s Terrace Beach Resort in Ucluelet for less than $5 million

B.C. appeals judge’s decision to leave three clubhouses in Hells Angels hands

The province has filed two notices of appeal related to the B.C. Supreme Court decision

VIDEO: Victoria’s Raging Grannies call for end to public funding of for-profit senior homes

Organizer says COVID-19 has made senior home issues more apparent

Sooke Crisis Centre closes doors

Services previously offered to be dispersed throughout community support groups

Canadian policing organization calls for decriminalization of simple illicit drug possession

Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police want policing focus of opioid crisis to be replaced with a health one

Survey, hotline launched amid probe into racist blood-alcohol guessing game at B.C. hospital

Mary Ellen Turpel-Lafond has been appointed to lead an investigation by Health Minister Adrian Dix

RCMP disarm man experiencing mental health crisis in Campbell River

Man pulled a knife on officers and then held it to his own throat expressing a desire to die

Saanich police identify suspect in Brydon Park assault

No charges sworn, no arrest made as of July 9

Jamie Bacon pleads guilty to charge in Surrey Six case

The plea brings an end to a complex legal case that has spanned more than a decade

17-year-old girl from Nanaimo reported missing

RCMP asking for help finding Trisha Harry

Filing deadline in RCMP sexual-harassment class-action extended due to COVID-19

Plaintiffs now have until January 2021 to submit claims for up to $222,000

Most Read