Charred remains of Waynes Road home becomes visible in the sunlight.  (Photo by Don Bodger)

Charred remains of Waynes Road home becomes visible in the sunlight. (Photo by Don Bodger)

Community rallying with donations for Chemainus family

Clothing items much appreciated following house fire

Members of the family burned out of their home last Monday are living in temporary quarters at a community building next to the site of the Waynes Road fire in Chemainus.

The family spent a few days at a motel before relocating and will remain there over Christmas before determining its next move.

Meantime, the donations that have been pouring in are much appreciated, considering there was nothing left of their possessions and they literally escaped the fire with just the clothes on their backs.

“It has been very generous, people that have been giving us stuff,” said Tammy Gibson, mom of fire victim Amanda.

The primary donations have been clothing, but “they need bedding, blankets, sheets, pillowcases,” she added.

For the items that didn’t fit any of them, “we sent a bagful of stuff they couldn’t use to the Salvation Army for others,” Gibson indicated.That ensured nothing went to waste.

It’s obviously been a horrific experience for the family and particularly more distressing at Christmas.

“It’s kind of still hitting everyone,” said Tammy Gibson. “Everyone’s still having a cry here and there. But spirits are high.”

There’s also a GoFundMe page that’s been set up under Amanda Gibson’s House Fire.

Sam Rozell, Amanda’s younger sister, is also taking donations on behalf of the family. She can be contacted at 250-245-8638.