The laundry room, where the fire first started, has been gutted. The kitchen has been burnt, the electrical system has been compromised, and the entire house has smoke damage. (Photo courtesy of View Royal Fire Chief Paul Hurst)

Butane torch caused View Royal fire that displaced four students

Home has ‘gutted’ laundry room, burnt kitchen and smoke damage throughout

View Royal Fire Rescue says a butane torch was the cause of a house fire that sent four residents out of their home on Saturday, Dec. 7.

According to Assistant Chief Rob Marshall, the torch was used to light cigarettes. The fire is being treated as accidental, not intentional.

“The residents will be out of the house for a while, as we’ve determined that there are asbestos issues in the home too,” Marshall said.

Fire crews were called to the 100-block of Atkins Road around 10:30 a.m on Dec. 7. after receiving reports of a house on fire.

The fire was “pretty substantial” according to View Royal Fire Chief Paul Hurst, but was quickly knocked down after crews arrived.

READ MORE: House fire in View Royal sends one to hospital Saturday morning

ALSO READ: Four Mile Pub plans to re-open by January 2020

Officials were able to narrow the origin of the fire to the now “gutted” laundry room. In addition, parts of the kitchen are burnt, the electrical system is compromised and the rest of the house has smoke damage.

One person was taken to hospital with burns and is currently recovering.

Marshall confirmed the occupants are post-secondary students, so they are home with their families over the holidays. But the damage done to the house leaves the chance of moving back in at the beginning of the new year in question.

–with files from Devon Bidal

aaron.guillen@goldstreamgazette.com


@iaaronguillen
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

 

Just Posted

Tenessa Nikirk found guilty in Saanich crash involving Leila Bui

Nikirk was charged with one count of dangerous driving causing bodily harm

Vancouver Island restaurant not setting trend by adding health charge to your bill

Move not catching on, as small businesses look for options to cover employer health tax

Colwood school’s mascot embarks on cross-country journey

‘Dusty’ the Eagle will visit 15 schools and one wildlife rehabilitation centre

Canada Post aware of ongoing email, text phishing scams

Scammers pretending to be Canada Post will ask for personal and payment information

VIDEO: Music stars pay tribute to Kobe Bryant at Grammys award show

Music artists including Billy Ray Cyrus, Rick Ross and Kirk Franklin paid tribute to Bryant

Pregnant B.C. woman stuck in Wuhan, the epicentre of coronavirus outbreak

Woman is due to give birth in Wuhan, China unless she can get out

Ontario confirms second presumptive coronavirus case in wife of first patient

Both arrived on a China Southern Airlines flight after having been to Wuhan

Sidney woman promises to pay back anonymous donor who covered her back rent

Zora Hlevnjak faced eviction after refusing to repay money earned collecting cans

VicPD says circumstances around missing teen are ‘high-risk’

Arianna McKenzie last seen in Centennial Square

Canada’s basketball community mourns Kobe Bryant after helicopter crash

Bryant was an 18-time NBA all-star who won five championships

‘Devastated’: Fans, celebrities remember Kobe Bryant after his death

Bryant played all of his 20-year career with the NBA with the Los Angeles Lakers

Kobe Bryant, daughter killed in California helicopter crash

Bryant entered the NBA draft straight out of high school in 1996

Investigation launched after six dead puppies dumped in Richmond hotel parking lot

RAPS reminds people they can always give up puppies they can’t take care of

Most Read