Skip to content

Parksville Fire Rescue responds to brush fire near gas station

Firefighters prevent spread blaze from spreading to adjacent buildings
(PQB News file photo)

Parksville Fire Rescue is reminding the public to be cautious with sources of ignition, in particular cigarettes, after a brush fire near the Chevron service station on May 14.

Fire rescue responded to a report of a brush fire behind a building in the 100 block of Craig Street shortly after 1 p.m., according to Fire Chief Marc Norris.

Upon arrival, the duty officer discovered the fire was in a cedar hedge on the Chevron property, close to the building on Craig Street.

Chevron employees used extinguishers on the fire, and the crew of Parksville Engine 41 ensured the blaze had been completely put out, Norris said.

READ MORE: Category 2 and 3 fire ban for Vancouver Island starting on Friday, May 17

The fire crew also checked the adjacent buildings on Craig Street to ensure the fire did not spread.

Parksville Fire Rescue also reminded the public to research and implement FireSmart practices close to structures.

— NEWS Staff