Hereditary chief (tyee hawilth) Derek Peters from Huu-ay-aht First Nations and his daughter Olivia sign an agreement with Western Forest Products using a traditional cedar bark signature at a ceremony in Anacla in 2018. (HEATHER THOMSON PHOTO)

Western Forest Products sells ownership interest to Huu-ay-aht First Nations

Huu-ay-aht will acquire seven percent ownership interest in APD sawmill

Western Forest Products (WFP) has sold a share of its Alberni Pacific Division (APD) Sawmill to Huu-ay-aht First Nations.

On Monday, March 16, WFP and Huu-ay-aht reached a $36.2 million agreement whereby Huumiis—a limited partnership owned by Huu-ay-aht First Nations—would acquire a majority ownership interest in Tree Farm Licence 44 (TFL 44) Limited Partnership. With this agreement, Huumiis will own 51 percent of TFL 44, while WFP will own the other 49 percent.

Huu-ay-aht First Nations first purchased interest in Western Forest Products back in 2018.

In Monday’s agreement, WFP also transferred its APD Sawmill into a newly formed limited partnership, along with other assets and liabilities. Huumiis will acquire a seven percent ownership interest in this partnership.

“This agreement is an example of how collaboration between First Nations and the private sector can contribute to reconciliation,” said Don Demens, Western’s President and Chief Executive Officer, in a press release.

Huu-ay-aht First Nations head hereditary chief Derek Peters added that it is an important step to gain more control over the traditional territory of the hereditary chiefs.

“This is an historic announcement that is fundamentally about reconciliation and forestry revitalization,” said Huu-ay-aht Chief Councillor Robert J. Dennis Sr. “This agreement will enable Huu-ay-aht to have more jurisdiction over our hahuułi (traditional territory), strengthen the long-term sustainability of the forest sector in the Alberni Region, provide strong environmental stewardship that aligns with Huu-ay-aht’s forestry guiding principles, and create more opportunities for First Nations, including our citizens.”

forestry

Just Posted

No more ferries will sail from Departure Bay during COVID-19 pandemic

B.C. Ferries announces major changes to sailing schedules starting Saturday, April 4

Suspect with pellet gun draws serious police response in downtown Nanaimo

Officers respond with guns drawn at Port Place shopping centre

COVID-19: Nanoose Bay woman celebrates 90th birthday with Model T ride as neighbours line streets

WATCH: Pandemic ruined plans for a party, so friends got creative

People resort to home haircuts or #coronacuts as pandemic continues

Quarantine haircuts posted on socialmedia with #coronacuts

Nanaimo merchants struggle to find a new ‘business as usual’ during COVID-19 pandemic

Some businesses trying to make do with delivery, takeout or online sales

From inside the ER: B.C. doctor tells it like it is from the frontlines of COVID-19

‘Stay home. It’s working,’ says ER doctor in a Q&A discussion, ‘And please don’t worry.’

Couple won’t self-isolate after returning from overseas: Cowichan by-law

New law requires 14 days of self-isolation when returning to Canada

Businesses advised to prepare for federal, B.C. COVID-19 assistance

Canada Revenue Agency portal expected to open next week

Dogs are property, not kids, B.C. judge tells former couple

Court decision made on competing lawsuits over Zeus and Aurora — a pit bull and pit bull cross

B.C. senior gives blood for 200th time, has ‘saved’ 600 lives

There was no cutting of cake for Harvey Rempel but he’s challenging youth to start donating blood

Trudeau commits $100M to help food banks amid COVID-19 crisis

Funds will help ‘urgent food needs’ for Canadians awaiting federal emergency benefits to kick in

How well can cell phones carry COVID-19? Disinfecting may be wise

‘You want to keep it as clean as you would normally your hands’

3M pushes back on Trump administration call to stop sending N95 masks to Canada

3M says it has already been turning out as many of the N95 masks as possible

B.C. health care workers gain access to virtual health care options

During COVID-19 many clinics have closed, leaving health care workers with nowhere to turn

Most Read